Thread: Move Time Machine data to Time Capsule?

Move Time Machine data to Time Capsule?

Hello everyone,

I recently received my Time Capsule (1TB) that I am quick to configure and install. It remains for me to move my Time Machine backups now on an old external hard drive (a partition of about 200GB) to the new Time Capsule to keep my previous backups.

But there is drama: impossible to know exactly how! I have found Step-by-Step (a bit complicated for the beginner that I am, actually) to move a Time Machine backup of External HD to another, or a Time Capsule to Time Caspule another, but nothing on the way forward to transfer a backup of External HD to a Time Capsule.

Could someone help me and explain how to solve this problem.

Transfer Time Machine data

Follow these steps:

• You should have empty disk with one Mac partition for this.
    • Turn off Time Machine.
    • Unmount and remount the Time Machine disk, it would appear as a regular orange disk on your desktop.
    • Open Disk Utility, then click the "Restore" Tab.
    • Drag the TimeMachine "partition that is on the old drive to the Source" box.
    • Drag the large partition on the new drive in the "Target" box.
    • Select “Erase Target”.
    • Click “Restore”.
    • Depending on the speed of your USB hub and disk capacity after a few hours you will see 2 identical drives on your desktop. The new drive should have lots more space.
    • Unmount and physically disconnect the old Time Machine drive.
    • Turn on Time Machine.
    • In the Time Machine configuration screen, press “Change drive” and select the new drive. You will see the disk icon turn into the green TimeMachine drive icon.

Moving a Time Machine Backup to a Time Capsule

The principle is simple: we must create a sparsebundle in the Capsule, and will replace the file Backups.backupdb by the External Disk.

In more detail:

• System Preferences, Change Disc for the Capsule
    • By wireless, run the first backup on the Capsule, let them do the preparation, and stop when backup files are beginning to be copied = all that is seen with the TM icon in the Menu Bar
    • Disable TM
    • Connect the Ethernet Capsule
    • Mount the Capsule in the Finder, bring his record Backups.backupdb to the Trash and empty
    • In Snow Leopard: drag and drop the Backups.backupdb Disk External sparsebundle to climb, and wait! (there for hours)

In Leopard, it must pass through Disk Utility or SuperDuper to restore Backups.backupdb EHD in sparsebundle.

Re: Move Time Machine data to Time Capsule?

Me, I just made the manip (changing the HDD to Time Capsule 1TB> 2TB) recently, I connected ethernet and everything resumed to zero. In case of problems, I could trace the former which I had still made no changes.

The 1st backup lasted approximately 5 hours for 150 GB and from all rolls in Wifi

Faster Time Machine backup

Time Capsule includes a wireless 1TB or 2TB hard drive1 designed to work with Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. Just set Time Capsule as the designated backup drive for Time Machine, and that’s it. Depending on how much data you have, your initial backup with Time Capsule could take overnight or longer. After it completes, only changed files are backed up — automatically, wirelessly, and in the background. So you never have to worry about backing up again. Even better, new technologies in Time Capsule and refinements to Time Machine make backing up to Time Capsule using Snow Leopard up to 60 percent faster than before.

Re: Move Time Machine data to Time Capsule?

I did it some time back:

• First after making sparsebundle i did Double-checked the sparsebundle’s contents via remounting the one on Time Capsule
    • Then i connected the Time Capsule – changed a setting through Airport Settings and the select “Enter Time Machine”

And it Worked.