Thread: Problem to install with apt-get

Problem to install with apt-get

Hello,
    I want to install a package on my debian server via apt-get. I transferred the pkg on my remote server / data, then I run:
    Code:
    apt-get install somesoftware.deb
    and I get:
    Code:
    Reading Package Lists ... Done
    Building Dependency Tree ... Done
    E: Could not find package somesoftware.deb
    But I place myself in the directory or is my pkg, how can I specify the location? I think i a getting a problem in installing apt-get. Thank you

Re: Problem to install with apt-get

Hello,
    I do not think you have tried and if you have not then please do try the following command.
    Code:
    dpkg -i packagename.deb
    This should definitely work with the debain operating system. Debian is said to be the most stable operating system in the linux distribution. Try this command, or if you are still getting problem then post back the error you are getting.

Hello,
    To install a package located locally must be:
    Code:
    dpkg-i package.deb
    Otherwise why have you downloaded the package on your post? Your server did not have access to the web? you have not downloaded the CD iso images? The principle of apt-get is to go and even download the packages and their dependencies in a repository (eg Debian officel site, its mirrors, or CD / DVD ROM). Rather than downloading the packages on your PC, configure apt-get (via apt-setup).

Hello,
    Thanks for the kind of help. My server is in DMZ, no net access. I use a CD install, but I did not leave the server after the coup if I want to add a pkg I transfer it from my post. Effectively with dpkg-i it works. Here it goes, because there was a dependency for pkg install , that is the reason why it was not installing. By the way, now it is working perfectly. Thanks for the help again.

Hello,
    In your case or may be someone else case, if you do not the operating system , that is how it works or something you what to test from the operating system , but the best way to do this is to have an live cd, you can download the live cd from the linux distributor's official site and the burn it on the cd and insert the cd and test if you like the operating system or not. This is the easiest way to decide weather the operating system is good , that is you like it or not and you wish to continue it or not