Thread: Re-installing MAC application

Re-installing MAC application

Hi,
    Is there a way by which I can re-install my application like iChat or Safari in MAC if I am not on internet. If yes then how to do that. I had found my browser Safari crashing many times. A proper re-installation of the same can fix the issue. I had already run updates for the same but still there is not much improvements. What to do here to fix such applications. Thanks in advance.

Re: Re-installing MAC application

You can use Pacifist for that. It is a simple shareware application for MAC which open up .pkg files. It also supports .dmg, zip, tar, tar.gz, tar.bz and xar file. The application simply allows you to extract the individual setups files and folders. It is a very useful tool and works with ease. This is the only way by which you can re-install you application back again.

It is probably already happened when you want to re-install some specific OS X software like for e.g. iChat, Mail, Safari, X11,etc or a printer driver, etc. You must know that this applications are really on your installation DVD Mac OS X Snow Leopard, but they are actually grouped in the Package or metapackage installation accessible without being obliged to start installing Mac OS X. You can use Pacifist for that.

Pacifist is an application that allows you to extract the package the items you want to re-install. You can directly get that from the Snow Lepoard DVD. Just install Pacific and insert the MAC disc. This software is also capable of verifying the missing or altered files in the software by examining the kernel extension. The software is quiet easy to use also.

Run the Pacifist tool and follow these steps. Insert your installation DVD of Mac OS X Snow Leopard the Mac. Run the application Pacifist, wait few seconds of penalties. Then in the window Pacifist click on Open Apple Install Discs and select Install OS - Mac OS X and standard applications from MacOS X Install DVD in the window that opens. Finally, click on Select.

Like for example package contents OSInstall.mpkg. This is an content of Essential System Software. You can open it by clicking once on the small gray triangle just before the packages. The list of available packages for applications appear in turn. You can also open one of these package if you want to install one of these elements of the DVD, such as content Mail.pkg. And this reinstall Mail.