Thread: How to add page numbers to documents in MS Word 2010?

How to add page numbers to documents in MS Word 2010?

Hi there, I am using the Microsoft Office 2010 for the use of my personal work. And i have liked the performance of the same. But i wanted to put the page number to the MS word in the same as i ma doing in the MS office 2003 but i am unable to do that in MS Office 2010 as it is little bit difficult to understand the working of the Office 2010. So please help me with How to add page numbers to documents in MS Word 2010? Thanks in advance

Re: How to add page numbers to documents in MS Word 2010?

This is very easy with the help of the office 2010 that gives the automatic location and preview of the page number option. All you have to do is to go to the Insert tab and you will be ask for the location for the of the page number whether it is on the top or to the bottom. The top selection also ask for the center, left and right for the page number. And same for the bottom also.

For the Adding of the page number to the MS office 2010 you have take the help of steps that i am giving you here for performing the page numbering in the same. So go through the step carefully.
    1. Just Open the Word Document
    2. Now Click on Insert Tab
    3. Select Page Number
    4. Select the Top or Bottom (eg. Top)
    5. Make the selection for the page style
    6. Thats it

If your document has multiple pages, you can display the page number on each page. In most documents, page numbers appear in either the header or the footer of each page. Microsoft Office Word 2007 has many preformatted page number designs so that you can quickly insert headers or footers that display the page number.
    • On the Insert tab, in the Header & Footer group, click Page Number.
    • Click Top of Page or Bottom of Page, depending on where you want page numbers to appear in your document.
    • Choose a page number design from the gallery of designs

Follow this to make the selection of the page number in Word 2010:

1. Open the Document
    2. Go to the "Insert" menu
    3. Select "Break."
    4. Select "Page Break" in the "Insert Break" dialog box
    5. click "OK."
    6. Go to the "View" menu
    7. Select "Header and Footer."
    8. Click inside the header or footer
    9. Click the "Link to Previous" button on the "Header and Footer" toolbar. Now you are allowed begin numbering here.
    10. Now Go to the "Insert" menu
    11. Select "Page Numbers."
    12. Click the "Format" button.
    13. Type the number '1' in the "Start At" box
    14. Click "OK."

Hey thanks for all you help regarding the problem that i am getting i.e. page numbering in the Microsoft Office 2010 word so that i can achieve the same and perform the numbering. i have followed all the step carefully and have succeeded in the adding page number the document in Word 2010. So i am suggesting others who are facing this issue can take this step.

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this post but I am having a nightmare time trying to insert page numbering with Word 2010.

On the face of it, it should be simple, but something keeps going badly wrong.

I have just attempted to add page numbers at the foot of each page. What happens, for example, is that I get a '1' on p 1 if I ask for it (though I prefer not to have it there - and have clicked the 'different page' button on a previous attempt).

However, what I get is something like this. No page '2', but a p '3' on page 5, a '1' on page 7, another '3' on page 12 and so on (with no other numbers in between).

It doesn't matter what I do, I cannot number the document 1 through to the end.

Ideally, I would like to have page numbers on the outside of each page. This was simplicity itself with Word 2003, but, again, if I try it with Word 2010, I either get no numbers, or numbers on alternate pages OR the mess I've described above.

I've wasted so many hours on this, it's ridiculous. Has anyone else ever come across this problem?

I cannot for the life of me see where I am going wrong.

Any help MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James

Hi JamesW,

You can start numbering on the second page of your document, or you can start numbering on a different page. Follow the below steps:
    1. Double-click the page number.This opens the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools.
    2. On the Design tab, in the Options group, select the Different First Page check box.
    3. To start numbering with 1, click Page Number in the Header & Footer group, then click Format Page Numbers, and then click Start at and enter 1.
    4. To return to the body of your document, click Close Header and Footer on the Design tab (under Header & Footer Tools).

Hi, Einstein, and thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Unfortunately, my problem seems to be a little bit more complicated.

I have no problem inserting page numbers in a normal one-column document. The problem - I've belatedly realised - seems to relate to 'two-column' documents.

Here, what happens is that after a few pages of normal numbering, eg 1-5, the page numbering reverts to '2' on every page. It's bizarre.

I've been trying to see if there's a pattern of some sort. I THINK the problem arises if I try to insert a 'one-column' entry (eg an introductory line that runs across the top of the page), though to be honest, after trying to resolve this problem for over a week, I'm beginning to feel a little punch-drunk - I've come across so many different variations.

Also - depending on which document I try to insert page numbers into, I get TWO DIFFERENT types of page format. One is simply the page numbers in different positions (left, right and centre), the other is the same but with a line across the page, either above or below the number, depending on whether it's at the top or bottom of the page.

If I scroll through all the options, I'm not given the alternatives, by which I mean - one document will only give me options WITH the line, and another document will only give me options WITHOUT the line.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

All the years I've been paginating documents, I have never had these sort of problems.

At present, I'm trying to split my documents into different files, numbering them, for example, 1-20, 21-30 and so on. But it seems a convoluted approach.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again.

James

Surely the process is a bit more complicated and cannot be done by regular methods. I found this Microsoft link which provides inserting page numbers on different columns on a single page.

Numbering Columns, Creating Page Numbers for Folded Pages

Second there is one more option. In this I tested to add page numbers on a landscape two column page. Every page has 2 half sheet. For this click on Page Layout > Choose the size of page from page setup. Click on More Pager Size from below > and then in margin define the page size. Like for example in Width I had added 5.5" and in highet 8.5". Once done with the same give ok. Once done you have to go to the footer settings. In the footer at the end choose the page number. And then go in Printer > Pages Per Sheet > Choose Pages. That all. Give Ok and then check.

Norriem Guest

I am quite happy inserting page numbers in Word 2010; however I am trying to create a booklet utilizing an A4 page, orientation landscape and two columns per page. What I have been trying to do is to number each column as a page to form an A5 booklet. Is this possible?