Thread: Locking a file on USB

Locking a file on USB

Hi all,

I want a trick or a small utility that allows me to lock a file on external media (USB stick, or other MP4)

The file to protect my case is a MP4 (music video). When it connects to a computer, it behaves like a USB key. A simple file mounts on the desktop to load audio or video you wish to save. At this level, I want to secure my file in question so that it can not be removed, but simply be read. But it should remain available for reading.

Thank you for the info.
    "I'd rather be riding my bike thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my bike"

Re: Locking a file on USB

(Apple I) effectively prevents the build file without affecting the reading but still easy to change nonetheless. But also a connection to the key on a PC removes this protection with a simple clip left mouse which allows us to build this file directly to the trash.

Protect File on USB key

If it acts like a USB key is that the file system is FAT32, you can not protect this file.

Moreover, whatever the file system, if someone has the key in his hands, he will do what he wants in your file.

The best way would probably write a "PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE" in the filename.

To accomplish your purpose i'll advice you to use a CD disk rather than the USB drive, To distribute a read-only file, we have the CD-R and DVD-R, from a few years ago. And there are few softwares which can password protect your USB key, use it for better security.

I am not very constructive, but share the solution given by chroma (which is currently the best) I do not see how you can do. A CD-R does not cost so much. Sure, it takes more space than flash drive and you can scratch, but its better option. You can also use the folder lock utility to save file with password.

Protect USB Against Deletion of file

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"