Thread: What processes are carried by script maintenance

What processes are carried by script maintenance

Hi,
    There are different types of scripts that I can run to perform MAC maintenance. I want to know that if I run a daily backup then what are the processes that are carried out my this scripts. How can I determine that. Second thing which is a suitable application I can use for performing a regular maintenance if the script work does not gives out satisfied results. Thanks in advance.

Re: What processes are carried by script maintenance

Since in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, these scripts do not throw more at times very specific night (as was the case in Panther and earlier), but automatically taking into account the time from which your Mac is turned on or off. So if your Mac is turned on only 6 or 7 hours a day, the daily script will not run every day but only after 24 hours of actual use will have passed.

To understand what does the maintenance process do you have to go throught each type of scripts. Like for example in Daily scrips the following things are done. It cleans old files in / var / rwho. It also clears up old files and folders in the directories: / tmp and / var / tmp. Removes system messages over 21 days. It save the NetInfo database. Updates the disk capacity available. It restart the syslog process, etc.

That right different scripts carries out different types of processes every time. Like if you run a weekly script then it updates the local database / usr / lib / locate, rebuilds the local database / usr / libexec / makewhatis, cleans the following log files: ftp.log, lookupd.log, lpr.log, mail.log, netinfo.log, restart the syslog process, starts the script / etc / weekly.local , etc. While the monthly one will starts the process of taking into account login, it cleans up log files wtmp, it restart the syslog daemon and it starts the script / etc / monthly.local.

This function is intended primarily for users who do not leave their computer on constantly. Indeed, the Unix Mac OS X was designed to be primarily used on machines which were constantly lit. To this end, Mac OS X, intelligent system, is equipped with a system of automatic maintenance scripts. This provides automatic maintenance operations daily, weekly and monthly.

ONYX and other maintenance utilities can run all these scripts manually. So just check the corresponding buttons (daily, weekly and monthly + a button comprising three scripts eventually) to enjoy this as maintenance. OnyX can check the status of hard disk and the structure of the file system, perform major maintenance of the system, configure many hidden parameters of Finder, Dock, Safari , Dashboard, empty the cache and delete certain files and folders that may become cumbersome.