Thread: How to work with DiskCopy command copy

How to work with DiskCopy command copy

Hi,
    I need some information on working of Diskcopy in Windows XP. What here I am trying to do is to move a file from my pen-drive to the hard drive. The usb is accessible in DOS mode. So better to take out the files and then format it to aviod my data loss. I am not so familiar with the disk copy command but what to use the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to work with DiskCopy command copy

DISKCOPY is a specialized command in Disk Copy. So use XCOPY rather than DISKCOPY to copy a disk that contains sub-directories containing files to a disk that is not the same format. Indeed, DISKCOPY copying the disc track by track, it is essential that the source drive and destination drive are the same size, which is not required by XCOPY.

In general, use xcopy if you do not want to get a complete picture of the source disk. However, this command does not copy hidden files or system files such as IO.SYS or MSDOS.SYS. Do not use for the copying of a disc system instead use DISKCOPY. XCOPY exit codes this is also called codes ERRORLEVEL.

If the destination shown does not include a directory and does not end with an anti slash (\), XCOPY displays the message. The message is target represents Does a filename or directory on the target drive (F = file, R = Directory)? Press F for copy (s) file (s) in another file, and R to copy them to a directory.

You can set the environment variable like COPYCMD to specify if commands COPY, MOVE XCOPY and you should ask for confirmation before overwriting a file, these commands are executed from the DOS prompt or d a batch. To force commands [COPY], [MOVE] and XCOPY to ask in all cases, confirmation before overwriting files, specify the /-Y for the environment variable COPYCMD.

If you are planning to force these commands to replace the files in all cases without prompting, specify the / Y for the environment variable [COPYCMD]. Specifying the / Y or /-Y for one of these commands ADVANTAGE all default settings, as well as the current setting of environment variable [COPYCMD].In versions of DOS earlier DOS 6.22, XCOPY to copy the cache files and system files, but those were the good old days. To disable the cache or system attributes of a file, first use the command ATTRIB.