Thread: How to Add a network drive to windows 7 Library

How to Add a network drive to windows 7 Library

Hi, i am new to this forum. Basically i am Windows Xp user but recently have upgraded one of my pc to Windows 7. Now, as i am new to this operating system, am not much familiar with its features and settings. So, i need some help from you all guys regarding Windows 7 Media Center. Could you guys please help me to know how can i add a network drive to windows 7 Library ? Thanks for all your helps.

Re: How to Add a network drive to windows 7 Library

Library is a virtual folder that lists all files of the same gender, whatever their location on the hard drive of your computer. Inside the Image Library, you will find such images stored in your My Pictures folder, but all those recorded elsewhere in any other folder on your computer. The files are displayed in the same window, even if they are physically recorded on several different hard drive. You can easily customize it to reference the contents of folders of your choice, you can create your own libraries, add content that is on your system, customize their icons, etc..

If Windows 7 cannot add a disk or folder to another shared computer on the network in a library, the files are then indexed by the search tools of the system which can greatly slow down your computer each time you access the library. There is however a way around this limitation, just go through this:-
    • On your computer, the root of drive C: \, create a new folder called Sharing.
    • Open this folder and create a temporary folder inside Temp for example.
    • Add this file to a library and press.
    • Click OK.
    • Then delete the Temp folder in Explorer.
    • Pull down the menu Start and type cmd.
    • Click the right mouse button on the program cmd.exe and select Run as administrator .*
    • Click Yes.
    • Enter the following command with the path of network drive or folder to add to the library.
      MKLINK / dc: \ share \ temp \ \ PC_DISTANT \ folder, replacing \ \ PC_DISTANT \ folder
  4. Press Enter. Close the Command Prompt.
  5. The contents of the file system and will not be indexed by Windows but will be listed in your library.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

You can also customize the icon library, for that you must edit hidden files in Windows 7. Initially, view hidden files and system settings. To do this in an Explorer window, click the Organize menu, then Options, files and research. Open the View tab. Select View Files, folders and drives hidden and click OK. In Windows Explorer, then navigate to the folder C: \ Users \ [your name] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Libraries. The definition files are displayed libraries. Click Start. Enter the command notepad and press Enter.
    The notebook is opened. Drag the icon for the library to edit it in Notepad.
    The line <iconReference> imageres.dll, -1004 </ iconReference> indicates the path of the icon. Here, it is the icon file in 1004 imageres.dll.

If you have a file icon in ICO format, enter the full path between the tags and instead of the existing road. If you want to change the icon library that you created, this line is absent. Add it just after the line <isLibraryPinned> true </ isLibraryPinned>. Click the File menu, click Save and then close the Windows notepad. The new icon is immediately used.

Thats it !!!

By default, Windows 7 does not allow to add a library to a disk or folder on another computer on the network. To do so, on the root of the C Drive: create a new folder and name sharing. Open this folder and create a temporary folder inside Temp for example. Add this file to a library and press. Then delete the Temp folder in Explorer. Run the command cmd.exe as administrator. Enter the command MKLINK / dc: empPC_DISTANTdossier sharing PC_DISTANTdossier by replacing the path network drive or folder to add to the library. Press Enter. Close the command prompt by typing Exit and Press Enter.