Thread: Deleting Normal.Dot from word 2003

Deleting Normal.Dot from word 2003

I am having a HCL me laptop which is installed with windows 7. I am also using the ms office 2003. I want to delete the normal.dot file from my system since it is been affected by a virus and the antivirus is unable to delete this file so i would like to delete the normal.dot file manually. Is it possible to do so if yes then please tell me how.

Re: Deleting Normal.Dot from word 2003

Upto my knowledge the normal.dot is the default or global template that Word uses to create a blank document and hence deleting it is not really helpful anyways if you have decided to delete the normal.dot then you will get this file somewhere in the documents and settings folder within the C drive.

The Normal.dot file is used extensively by the ms-word even though you are using another template. So deleting these file will certainly stop these files from working. It might even corrupt your ms- word program. and hence i will suggest you not to delete the normal.dot file. Even if it is corrupted.

Thanks for replying friends and also for giving your valuable suggestion in thi regard i know that these files are somewhat important one but i really want to delete this file in order to remove a virus so please tell me the path where it is located i even tried to search this on the system but the search resulted in nothing.

These files usually becomes corrupt and they are created again and again whenever you open the word program. If you have searched for this file on the system then i think that the file has been deleted. So i would suggest you to
    repair the file using the setup CD or lift this file off the CD and save it in templates.

Well deleting the normal.dot file result in nothing since it gets creatd automatically whenever you open the word program. Also it creates a brand new normal.dot file If Word is unable to locate a normal.dot file and hence i would recommend you to install a new antivirus and remove the virus with the help of this antivirus.

normal dot file deleting is not serious problem. When u start existing document again it will create again