Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iTunes Error message : Backup could not be saved on the computer

iTunes Error message : Backup could not be saved on the computer

Hi,

I have a apple 3G iphone. When I try to backup my iphone with iTunes 8, I get an error message: iTunes could not back up iPhone because the backup could not be saved on the computer. I used to have no problems with backups but now my iPhone will not backup. I tried doing a restore with the iPhone but that didn’t solve the problem. Does anyone know what this error is and how to fix it?

Re: iTunes Error message : Backup could not be saved on the computer

I had the same problem what I did was, I deleted the existing backup and creating a new backup. To do this, go to iTunes 8> Under Preferences. Previous backups of your iPhone will be available in the Devices tab. Delete the most recent backup from there. After you do this, connect the iPhone and should be available in the iTunes Source list, press Control-click on your iPhone and in the menu on the window that appears, select Backup. Your problem will be solved.

While you are synchronizing, update or restore iPhone, you may receive one or more of the following symptoms: An alert message indicates iTunes could not back up iPhone because the backup could not be saved on the computer. Photos device appear distorted or not all photos transfer.An warning message indicating that the USB device can not operate because it needs more power than it is available.

iTunes must be able to read the file from previous backup before you can write a new one. If you upgrade to iTunes, the new version can not read the file from old backup from Apple. Open the Preferences window, select the Devices tab, select the file from previous backup indoor window, DELETE the file from backup. Now reconnect the backup device and will function normally. Or right-click the device name and do a manual backup.

If the disk has sufficient space available, the problem may be caused by security software. What security software running on your PC? You can bypass most security software and application conflicts by putting the PC into a selective startup mode. Scan your PC for viruses and use Ccleaner to clean up corrupt registry files.

i know this is an old thread but i'm having the same problem. i'm using itunes 10 the latest version, i've disabled my security software, i've created a new user, i've deleted the old back up file, i've restored my iphone 3gs, i have plenty of space on my hard drive, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes. so i'm still stuck with not being able to update my iphone 3gs. Any other suggestions? it wont let me back up my iphone either, gives me the same error message. it almost seems like there's something going on in the iphone software itself. because i was able to update an older model ipod touch to 3.1.3 and had no problems backing up my iphone 4 either.

To resolve this problem, delete the backup in iTunes Preferences. Then create a new backup. If you want to keep a copy of your backup, you can move the backup file. The backup is located in the locations listed below.

\ Users \ [username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Apple Computer \ MobileSync \ Backup \

To delete the backup file:

1. Open iTunes Preferences: Choose iTunes -> Preferences (Mac) or Edit> Preferences (Windows).
    2. Select the devices.
    3. Select the backup device to be erased.
    4. Click Remove Backup. iTunes will prompt you to confirm deletion of the backup. Click Remove Backup.
    5. Click OK.

During the backup, iTunes on your computer backup before any coverage. ITunes may display this warning message, if the file is locked up, corrupted or unreadable. To manually create a new backup, right-click (or control click) on the device under the iPhone remained iTunes, and the window, and select from the shortcut menu back.

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    During the backup, iTunes on your computer backup before any coverage. ITunes may display this warning message, if the file is locked up, corrupted or unreadable. To manually create a new backup, right-click (or control click) on the device under the iPhone remained iTunes, and the window, and select from the shortcut menu back.
    like i said, it will not let me back up the iphone. i right click the iphone in itunes and choose back up... this is after i have relocated the other back ups from the iphone 4 and the ipod touch.

same thing still happens.

this is what i get from the log file....

2010-09-24 13:39:56.492 [1472:1378]: restore library built Aug 6 2010 at 11:14:46
    2010-09-24 13:39:56.492 [1472:1378]: iTunes: iTunes 10.0.0.68
    2010-09-24 13:39:56.757 [1472:1378]: iTunes: Current software version: 8A400
    2010-09-24 13:39:56.758 [1472:1378]: iTunes: Software payload version: 8B117
    2010-09-24 13:40:31.217 [1472:1378]: iTunes: Backup error -30

Have you tried the 'Mr Alfa' solution. I think that should help you. That solution is for Windows 7. If you are working on some other operating system, then the following points will help you.
    To resolve this quandary, delete the backup in iTunes Preferences and then create a new backup. If you would like to retain a copy of the backup, you can move the backup file to a different location. The backup is situated in the locations that are mentioned below.
    On a Mac:
    /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    On Windows XP:
    \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

I'm not sure what the "mr alfa" solution is. Would mind explaining it to me?

I tried the suggested solution to absolutely no avail. any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    I tried the suggested solution to absolutely no avail. any other ideas?
    Which solutions did you tried from above ? Did you tried going to iTunes > Preferences ? In case there are multiple backups than atleast 1 will be existing under the Devices tab. You can simple erase the existing backup or backups from there.

I have deleted the one backup that I had in the field that you mention. As of now there are no backups in there. The backup still fails with "cannot save"

There might be some conflict in the your iTunes itself. I know its not the proper answer / solution but you should reinstall your iTunes. But before that try to save your backup on any different partition and see if it works. Hope you can get some help from this article: Transfer iTunes library and iPhone backup to new computer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast