Thread: Techniques for better Report performance in Visual Studio 2010

Techniques for better Report performance in Visual Studio 2010

Currently I am working on the reports in Visual Studio 2010. I have created reports in Visual Studio 2010, but the thing is that the reports that I have created are not performing well. Reports are taking more time in generating and sometimes report is generated but the result is invalid that may because of invalid data structure. So I need to know the procedures related to the Reports in Visual Studio 2010.
    Last edited by Marcya; 02-02-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Re: Tips for better Report performance in Visual Studio 2010

I will suggest you some of the tips for creating reports in Visual Studio 2010. Actually queries loads faster compared to the SQL string in the RecordSource of the report, so it will be better to save RcordSource of the report as a query. For sorting and grouping it will be better to avoid expressions and functions. Don not design the report queries using the clauses like “ORDER BY” clause.

The better idea will be to index fields that are used for sorting and grouping. If you are designing the reports or designing the base reports then you must base the reports on queries rather than giving the source as tables, because of the simple reason that through queries you can filter out the data which will result in the minimum possible data required. This makes the retrieval of data faster.

Do not use domain Aggregate functions like “DLookup” for the RecordSource of the reports. Domain aggregate functions significantly affects the performance of reports means the time required for generating the reports. For finding out the empty records in the report use the NoData event. It is a better option in place of using the separate process for finding out the null values for reports.

Re: Techniques for better Report performance in Visual Studio 2010

For increasing the performance you need to keep in mind that you do not assign the unnecessary property in reports. Set only those properties that are the most needed. Because the assigning the properties are the most expensive while considering the performance. Now if I am saying to use only those properties while designing the properties. Then you must not also build the reports which are not required just for making.

Re: Techniques for better Report performance in Visual Studio 2010

For increasing the performance of the reports it will be better to reduces the number of controls. Increasing the number of controls on the reports will cause you decrease in the performance. The better idea is to avoid the overlapping of controls. Because the more control means that more time required to render and draw the control. Mean it require more time for the control which are not required.