Thread: RTHDCPL process not running in task manager

RTHDCPL process not running in task manager

Hello friends, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. The configuration of the computer is Intel Core2duo processor with Intel 965 motherboard and 2gb Ram. The motherboard has integrated Realtek HD sound chipset on it. Recently I have started facing some weird problem with my computer, Whenever I plug in the Headphones in the Back panel of the motherboard, it does not get detected. The Sound only works if the headphones are connected to the front panel. I checked the processes in the task manager which are running but the RTHDCPL process in not running in Task manager. Is my motherboard faulty? or is this because of some virus? Please help.

Re: RTHDCPL process not running in task manager

Yes it is possible that the motherboard is faulty. The sound ports on the motherboard which are present on back panel have high priority than the sound port on the front panel. Hence when the headphones are plugged in the back panel the sound ports on the front panel get disabled. As you are not able to hear the sound when the headphones are connected to the back panel there is high possibility that the motherboard is faulty. Get the motherboard checked by some good technician. I think you will have to replace the motherboard if it is faulty.

The RTHDCPL is the process for the Realtek audio and device manager. Whenever any device is plugged in the sound port, it gets detected by the RTHDCPL process. As the process is not running hence the headphones are not getting detected. The motherboard is not faulty. Sometimes the process fails to detect any new device while the operating system is working. Hence to get the headphones detected, plug the headphones in the back panel and then restart the computer. After restarting the system will detect the headphones and you will be able to hear sound using it.

There is an option in the RTHDCPL which disables the devices which are connected to the back panel when any device is connected to the front panel jacks. I think the option is enabled and hence the headphone is not working when it is plugged into the front panel. To enable the devices which are connected to the back panel, Open the Windows folder and then find RTHDCPL executable file. Now open the file while the headphone is connected. Now go to Audio I/O tab and click on the Spanner Icon in the Back panel. Now Remove the check mark against the option which says Disable the Back panel ports. Now click on OK and exit the wizard. Now the headphones should get detected by the system.

By looking at the symptoms it is possible that the system is infected by some virus which is creating problems while executing the RTHDCPL process. Scan the system with an updated antivirus and then check for all the infected files. Repair or quarantine all the files which are infected and then check if the system is able to detect the headphones or not. Do not delete any files as it may cause total system failure. If repairing the files does not help then you will have to replace the Motherboard I fear.

Check if the sound drivers are installed properly on the system and are working properly. If the drivers are not installed properly then the associated devices do not work properly. To check if the drivers are installed properly and are in working properly, right click on the My computer and select Manage. Now select Device manager and then highlight the sound devices. Check if there are any caution or question mark sign. If there are any caution signs then do the troubleshooting procedure. If even after troubleshooting if the headphones are not detected then remove the drivers and install them again. Also try to update the drivers if necessary.