Thread: Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges

Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges

Hi,

I've been trying for several days, to install iTunes on my new computer with window xp. I always get the error message "Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges" The installation I always run as administrator. Can someone help me or is there perhaps an alternative to iTunes? Thanks in advance

Re: Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges

I have a solution for this problem (XP only) solution. This problem occurs when a fresh installation of recent and non-windows xp is done! Cause = setupapi.dll file (4.60 mb) in C:\windows\system32\has a permission problem in administrator mode.To correct this problem: Enable Automatic Updates in Control Panel/System/(tab "automatic updates"), and wait 1 day or 2 and try to install.

I have exactly the same problem. In the current installation of iTunes for Vista 32bit ver 7.7.1.11 comes with the installation the error message:
    Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges. I reformatted my computer, before I had iTunes installed, and have had no problems. I have now bought an iPod and can not do without iTunes. I turned off my firewall offline and then installed, but again no success!

To resolve this problem, restart your computer to its previous operating system, rename the Setupapi.dll file, then run the Windows XP installation again. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer.
    2. In the home menu screen, select the previous operating system.
    Note The following steps of this procedure are written for Microsoft Windows 98. The steps for your operating system may vary.
    3. After the operating system is started, click Start, point to Programs and click MS-DOS.
    4. In the Windows MS-DOS prompt, type setup CD and then press ENTER.
    5. Type ren setupapi.dll setupapi.old and then press ENTER.
    6. Type exit and then press ENTER.
    7. Run the Windows XP Setup again.

Some iTunes installation gives the following error "

"Service Bonjour Service (Bonjour Service) failed to start. Make sure you have sufficient privileges to start system services ".

The following solution has worked very well for me:
    1. Open a command - Run -> type cmd and run
    2. C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe-remove or C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe-remove type
    3. After that, in the same folder C:\Program Files\Bonjour mdnsNSP.dll the file will be renamed, for example mdnsNSP.bak
    4. Reboot the computer
    5. After the restart can complete folder C:\Program Files\Bonjour removed/deleted.
    6. Now iTunes should be installed without problems

The McAfee Security Center's Firewall may be preventing Bonjour from starting up, thus halting the installation of iTunes.

1. Open McAfee Security Center.
    2. Click "Restore Firewall Defaults" under the "Common Tasks" menu on the left side of the window.
    3. In the "Restore Firewall Protection Defaults" portion of the window click "Restore Defaults"
    4. If you are still unable to install iTunes, you may want to temporarily disable your McAfee Security Center Firewall.

smile Re: Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges

Here is the FIX that worked for me. I am running windows 7 64bit. I was banging my head against a brick wall for hours trying EVERYTHING. This worked.

This is from a very helpful chap in another fourm. Thank you Baremetal.

"K everyone. I've been in contact and working with Apple engineers to resolve the issues everyone is having with Bonjour in iTunes 9.1.

Apple gave me the go ahead to post an install workaround in the interim that will allow you to install iTunes without Bonjour until they can get it fixed.

Please download the regular setup EXE from Apple's website and open a *Command Prompt with Admin Rights and run the following:* (Right Click Command Promt & Select "Run As Admin"

32-bit Windows:

iTunesSetup.exe NO_BONJOUR=1

64-bit Windows:

iTunes64Setup.exe NO_BONJOUR=1

This will allow you to install iTunes 9.1 without Bonjour and proceed to syncing with your iPad, etc... once you get it. Then once Apple posts an updated iTunes Setup build with Bonjour working, you can update to that version.

Thanks again for everyone's help in this matter and for Apple reaching out to me. Top notch support Apple and I'm very impressed!

This totally worked for me! Please try it, if it works spread the word. Hopefully Apple will pull their finger out & stop breaking there own software!

smile Re: Bonjour service failed to start, verify you have sufficient privileges

P.S The run path for me was

C:\Users\*Name of Your Machine*\downloads\Itunes64setup NO_BONJOUR=1