Thread: How to create a Disk Image using Clonezilla

How to create a Disk Image using Clonezilla

Hi, i had recently done a fresh install of Windows Vista on one of my PC and need to create a system image as a backup. For doing so, some friends had suggested me to go with Clonezilla. I don't know how to use the same. While searching tips regarding Clonezilla i found the following post Clone your hard disk with Clonezilla LiveCD but there is just intro of this application.

Could you guys please make me know the step by step process of using Clonezilla to create and restore the disk image ? Any help will be appreciated.

Re: How to create a Disk Image using Clonezilla

Clonezilla is a free utility that allows you to clone one or more partitions or even the entire hard drive of your PC to the same state in which it is located. First of all you need to download the Clonezilla ISO file and burn it on any CD with CD or DVD burner. Now before creating disk or system image, set up your entire system preference like user accounts, programs, drivers and also run a defragmentation. Do a thorough cleaning disk or partition to clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Theking View Post
    Could you guys please make me know the step by step process of using Clonezilla to create and restore the disk image ? Any help will be appreciated.
    Here is the step by step process for creating a partition or disk image using Clonezilla, just go through this:-

• Insert your Clonezilla CD into your drive and your backup media, then restart the computer
    • Boot from the CD
    • Clonezilla launches and will prompt you to configure some settings
    • Choose your screen resolution, if it does not allow the resolution 1024x768, 800x600 choose (if you do not know or you do not choose also 800x600)
    • Please wait while loading
    • Select language and press ENTER
    • Leave "Do not change the coding of the keyboard" and press ENTER
    • Select "Start Clonezilla" and press ENTER
    • Select "disk / partition to / from image" and press ENTER
    • Select "local_dev Mount a local device" and press ENTER
    • Please ENTER again
    • Wait a few seconds and select the backup device, not the one you save (locate it according to size)
    • Press ENTER
    • Press Y to confirm then ENTER
    • Select the backup directory, you can leave it to the root folder and Press ENTER
    • Press ENTER again
    • Select "Beginner Mode" and press Enter
    • If you want to back up your hard drive completely, then choose "savedisk. If you just want to backup your system partition, then choose "savepart"
    • Let then ENTER
    • Enter the image name to use, no space, prefer the underscore.
    • Press ENTER
    • Now select the partition (s) or (s) drive (s) to backup. Check online with the SPACE key and press ENTER to confirm
    • Please ENTER again
    • Press Y to the confirmation request and made ENTER
    • The process starts and you can follow the progress at the bottom of the screen
    • Wait for the operation
    • When you get the next screen, type the number 1 to restart your computer then click ENTER
    • Eject your disk and press ENTER

Thats it !!

Remember that Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore where Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many computers simultaneously. Once you have the bootable Clonezilla Live media, as created in the previous step, you can boot it in the machine you want to clone. Remember to use the Clonezilla live media, such as CD, USB flash drive, USB hard drive, hard drive or PXE to boot the machine. If necessary, you can set the first boot priority in the BIOS as USB-HDD or USB-ZIP so that it can boot Clonezilla Live from your USB flash drive.

Hey mates, i really appreciate your quick and effective reply. I understood to create disk image but am also not aware of using Clonezilla for the restoration process. Please let me know the same as well. Thank you again.

In case you need to restore your saved disk image with Clonezilla, just go through these steps:-

1. Boot from CD Clonezilla
    2. Set again the basic parameters in the same way and start "Clonezilla"
    3. Select Device / image and press Enter.
    4. Select local_dev and press Enter.
    5. Please Enter again
    6. Select the media containing the image of your hard drive and press Enter.
    7. Select the "parent directory on the local device" and made Enter.
    8. Please Enter again
    9. Select "Beginner Mode" and press Enter
    10. Select "restoredisk" if your image contains your entire hard drive or "restoreparts" if it contains only one partition.
    11. The name of the file restoration should be displayed, then press Enter.
    12. Select the partition or disk where you want to paste the picture and Enter.
    13. Please Enter again
    14. Confirm by typing "Y" and press Enter.
    15. Re-confirm by typing "Y" and press Enter.
    16. The restoration process is done, wait
    17. At the end of the transaction, press Enter.
    18. Then type the number 1 to restart, then Enter.
    19. Remove your CD Clonezilla as requested, and then press ENTER And you are done.

Is it possible to boot from an external hard disk instead of a CD and to have other data on that hard disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Edsus View Post
    Is it possible to boot from an external hard disk instead of a CD and to have other data on that hard disk?
    You can try out FlashBoot which is the easiest product available to build an external boot disk. They provide a free demo version that can test before you pay for the program. FlashBoot can load many different operating systems but the program can also use FreeDOS, which has no additional licensing fees. If you have limited computer experience, this is the way to go