Thread: How to unlock the application data folder

How to unlock the application data folder

Hello friends i am using an acer aspire laptop with windows 7 installed and i want to replace the Adobe CS3 Bridge's keywords file. So i am in need to get access to the application data folder. I am having the backup file but am unable to locate the app folder where the file is stored. I understand the security issue but i have a legitimate reason to get access to the application data folder. Need serious help

Re: How to unlock the application data folder

Most probably the Application data folder is located in your user directory. It is a link to the new AppData folder which is the folder which you are looking for. So i think that if you are the computer administrator you can easily access the Application Data folder without any kind of issue. I think you will resolve this issue soon.

Thanks for replying You may be right but i think that the application data folder is locked and hence i can't access it, even with the administrator privileges. I can think only of grabbing the old XP partition since my system is running with dual boot. Any other ideas please help me regarding this matter

As far as i know it's nearly impossible to access the application data folder. Because it's not an actual folder but it's a junction which is present only to provide the backward compatibility. A junction is a shortcut that is used to redirect the files and programs to different locations. Hence i would advise you to visit official microsoft website.

When you tried to get to the applications folder can you tell me whether you were able to browse to the folder to. If not then you will have to go to the control panel and select folder options -> view -> show hidden files, folders and drives and select the box. i think that you will fix this issue

When the AppData is locked you can still access RMB -> Properties -> then select Security [tab] ->Edit -> Add -> Advanced -> Find Now -> "your user name" -> OK and then you will be able to access it. Also the administrative rights are not very much needed to access AppData. All the best.

I know the thread is old, but I still wanted to add a possible solution to it.

Open the following folder:

C:\Users\ right click on your user name select Properties - Security - Advanced Tab at the bottom - In the new window select the Owner tab - Edit (even if you are the owner of the folder the subcategories might still be under another owner "system") Select your name and check the box to Apply to all subfolders then hit OK. It will ask you to accept because you don't have the permissions. Click YES.

It will take some time but you will see all the folders that you never saw under your user. This is not a matter of being hidden is a matter of privileges. When is done, Click on the Permissions Tab next to Owner. Click Edit, select your user, Apply full control and from the select box choose the Files, sub-folders and files.

Click ok. Right under the permissions select the checkbox to apply to all subcategories and then click OK again.

It will take more time but you should be able to see your files now. If you don't see them still, you might want to run malwarebytes or an antivirus in case you have a trojan changing your permissions. I hope this works for you.

I am also facing a similar kind of problem on my Windows 7 pro edition on my laptop. I was able to change the permissions which was able to show me I have full access and all, but after when I tried to look in the folder, I was getting an "Access Denied" error message and it gave same error with other folders as well, when i tried to look? Even after changing the sharing property there was no sign of relief and have also hidden the system folder but that didnt work either. I hope that there is a solution to this problem. Please help me out.

AppData folder is hidden. It can be see by unhiding the hidden files. But still if you can't access it, then it seems a virus issue which has modified the file permission. In that case you need to run a full system antivirus scan under safemode. If you are lucky the folder will be restored or else there is no other way to get it back. Check in cmd via chdir and tree command to see the list of folders in. If you can see you can backup the same.