Thread: Folder size appears bigger than Hard disk drive in Windows 7

Folder size appears bigger than Hard disk drive in Windows 7

I am facing a quite weird problem with my dell desktop installed with windows 7. I don't know why the size of one of my folder is shown bigger than the hard disk capacity . I am aware that the size on disk will differ from the Actual Size of the folder Since the sectors and blocks are handled in different manner. The size of my folder is almost 150 GB more than the max capacity of the hard disk.
    Last edited by Camillee; 19-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Re: Folder size is bigger than Hard disk drive in Windows 7

Most probably this problem usually arise when you make use of the compressed folders. The size on disk reflects the space which is being used by those files and the size refers to the uncompressed file size. hence the size of the folder appears quite greater than the size of the disk. Hopefully you will resolve this matter.

The main reason behind this problem is that the folder might have been compressed and hence its actual size is greater than that of the size which it take on disk. Because when you compress a folder then it becomes some what smaller than it original size. That's why the actual size of the folder is somewhat bigger than that of the hard disk.

This seems to be a quite weird problem can you please tell me whether you have enabled compressed folders or installed some other similar utility in to your system or What sort of files have you got in there. The size on disk reflects the space being used by those files. The size refers to the uncompressed file size. Please try to explain this problem in some more details so that i can suggest some solution.
    Last edited by Macarenas; 19-01-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Re: Folder size appears bigger than Hard disk drive in Windows 7

My system contains a large number of ISO file. Most of them are a standard 4.7 GB ISO files. Whereas some of them are dual layer isos. Since i ma working in an organization which want s the backup all the Discs we have which might help us if some screwy things occurs we can restore these backups. The above ideas really can't help me but thanks for replying me.

Re: Folder size appears bigger than Hard disk drive in Windows 7

I would suggest you to to open the command prompt and then try to check your disk using the "chkdsk C:" and check whether there is any sort of error in the hard disk. If you don't find any kind of error on it it might just be a compressed folder. You can find this problem using the FolderPie or some similar applications.