Thread: Win.exe And Win.com alert at startup

Win.exe And Win.com alert at startup

When I start my computer system,it alerts me for win.exe. I am not getting what is it.Please give me some solutions.When I boot my system,it occur some error message "The following file is missing or corrupted: Win.com" and automatically placed me into DOS prompt,I am using Windows98 OS.Please help me.I tried to create win.com file but when I goes to use it,I am unable to extract that original file of boot disk.
    Last edited by Aileen_L; 19-01-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Re: Win.exe And Win.com alert at startup

Win.com error resolution:
    When you start up your system running with windows 98,you are getting some error and you get divert automatically into command prompt with a error message: The following file is missing or corrupted: Win.com or unable to load,etc.It shows your one of the windows file has been missed or damaged.you can solve it yourself.

Extract win.cnf file from windows boot disk to your windows folder and rename it from Win.cnf to win.com. To perform this task open the command and type the following command :
    ren c:\windows\win.cnf c:\windows\win.com

Press enter key and restart your system.

Win.exe error resolution :
    At start up of windows you always get alerted by a message with the name of win.exe file. It identified as a program that is undesirable and it contain some threats information which is very harmful for your computer system.As soon as you can do,run the antivirus program that you have currently installed into your system.
    You can try this also to heal this problem.Use the system file investigator in windows. Go to Start=>Run and type sfc /scannow
    Through this command,the windows file protection would be activated for the verification and integrity of windows file system.It may require your windows boot disk.

Extracting original compressed Windows files:

To extract the original compressed files of windows98,use the windows system file checker tool and follow these steps:

- Click start and Run
    - And type sfc and press Enter key
    - Choose the file to extract from installation disk.To do this type this command- drive:\windows\path\file,where drive is the name of drive where windows is installed,path is address of the file where do you want to extract and file is the name of file that you want to extract.