Thread: How to install Itunes on non Windows Partition?

How to install Itunes on non Windows Partition?

Hello everyone, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. The Windows is installed in the C drive of the hard disk. Recently I uninstalled the Itunes from C Drive as it was running out of space. I want to install the Itunes on the D drive which does not have Windows on it. I tried to install Itunes on the D drive but by default the Itunes will detect the Installation drive as C drive. I tried many times but the same thing happens. Therefore I want to know if it is possible to install Itunes on a Non windows drive and if it is possible,How to install Itunes on the Non Windows Drive?. Please help.

Re: How to install Itunes on non Windows Partition?

Itunes is a music application which is developed by apple. Therefore like any other application it can be installed on any location in the hard drive. Download the latest installation file of the Itunes from the apple official website. Once the file is downloaded, double click on the file to execute it. Now the Windows installer will load and start the installation procedure for Itunes. Now the setup wil prompt to accept the terms and condition, Click on I agree. Now the Setup will prompt you to select the Installation drive. Here select the drive on which you want to install the Itunes and click on Proceed. Once the Location is selected, the setup will install the Itunes on the location selected.

Even if you install the Itunes in the Non windows drive, the media folder of the Itunes will always be located in the Windows drive. Whenever any files are added to the Itunes library and saved, it will take up some space in the Windows drive which will create problem in your case as the Windows drive on your computer is getting full. Therefore after installation of the Itunes, change the location of the Itunes media folder. To change the location of the Media folder, Open the Itunes. Now click on the Edit button and select preferences. Now in the Advanced Tab, Click on Change and then give the location of the New media folder. Now all the libraries will be saved in the folder whose location you have mentioned.

Thank you for giving such a fast reply to the question I asked. Apparently the Itunes was taking space on the Windows drive even after changing the installation drive. By following the advice given by Thomas, I changed the location of the Media folder to some folder in the Non windows drive. After changing the location, the Itunes is not taking up any space in Windows drive. But I have observed that there is one application Bonjour which also gets installed with Itunes. What Is this Bonjour and Can I uninstall it?

Bonjour is also an application which is also developed by apple. Bonjour is described as Zero network barrier software. This software has to be installed on the computer which is running on the Windows Operating system. Bonjour was developed by apple in order to make the devices connected to the Mac computer visible on the network which is shared with the computers running on the Windows operating system. You can uninstall Bonjour if you dont use it as it is only required if the devices are shared between the Mac system and the Windows operating system.

Bonjour is an bundle application which gets installed with Itunes. There are certain files which are common between the Bonjour and iTunes. Hence if the Bonjour is removed, the files which are common to them also gets removed without any intimation. Removing Bonjour will also make your Ipod or Iphone undetectable on the system. Hence avoid uninstalling Bonjour even if you dont use it.