Thread: Access - Use a single table for history and data backup

Access - Use a single table for history and data backup

Hello,
    I have a table T1 with fields C1 and C2. In the form F1 is stored in table T1.
    When I open the form F1, I see everything that is stored in table T1. So far, no problem. But the problem is as follows:
    I want when I change a field to my form, it is necessary that the line be changed in the table T1 without overwriting the old value of the field. Gender, if I have my form in F1 in the fields C1 "foo" and that if I change "foo" in "bar", I want "bar" does not overwrite foo that is stored in my table T1. I am not entitled to a second table. It forces me to do it on a table T1 that will keep the historical data. Have can I make changes to a form on a table without overwriting the old values? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Re: Access - Use a single table for history and data backup

Hi,
    You need a timestamp field that keeps the date time a form in display and a copy of the field in edit mode an edit button which will add your fields and edited now () to your table. Obviously all access to write / delete on your table become prohibited out the form and other forms to create (including new registration)

Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. My faith, it exceeds my level. I am unable to do so. Does anyone have a code to save form data in a table? I am sorry what my programming knowledge is little low, truly speaking equal to zero. So, if any one has an read made code for this please post it. It will help me.

Hello,
    You can use the properties oldValue and Values to make a new entry in your table through either a RecordSet or INSERT INTO. But according to know which record was changed by the new record, not only must the field by random timestamp is another field that identifies the original registration.

Hi
    I had to manage changes from tables to form then I can help. For your problem, if I understand correctly, you will not alter the table T1 but inform one another. So in your form you must not work from the fields of T1, but from copies. You create text boxes as there are in the table T1. Fields of T1 are not visible. So if you put stuff in your fields z, your table T1 does not move, since they are hidden, you risk nothing.

Hello,
    The above post is perfect and will suit your needs. I would like to add to it, the closure of your form you create VBA code that checks whether there has been change and if so, do an insert in your backup table from fields z in your form. I hope this helps you. If you have any problem or queries on this topic the do post back and we will try to solve your problem.