Thread: Plugin problem of USB Devices in Ubuntu

Plugin problem of USB Devices in Ubuntu

Hello , I am unable to connect the Nokia N70 phone to Ubuntu Operating system. I don't know How to connect a USB Device to Ubuntu Operating system? My USB Device is not shown in the Window, I am willing to access my data that is stored into my device. How many ways, I can connect to my PC and Phone when i haven't any cable and all.

Re: Plugin problem of USB Devices in Ubuntu

If You need to access the Internet Via Mobile phone and recording videos, sending and receive MMS and SMS messages and E-mails also ,you can easily access theses things. through the Pop-Port interface we can connect and transfer files to or from your cell phone using an USB cable . Many more Nokia phones come with the Pop-Port and I proud of owner of such a mobile device (Nokia N70).
    These are the few steps ,tested with a Nokia N70 mobile phone and Ubuntu operating system.

Step 1 - Installation of required software

Fire up Synaptic Package Managerand move System => Administration => Synaptic Package Manager and make

search for obex and check and apply to install them after installation close the synaptic.

Step 2 - Advanced Configurations

Now you can connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable and Open a terminal Applications => Accessories=> Terminal and type
    lsusb
    It provides you this output-
    VendorID = 0421
    ProductID = 043a
    Now copy and paste following line in the terminal
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/040-permissions.rules
    and add the next line to the end of the text file
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="VendorID", SYSFS{idProduct}=="ProductID", GROUP="plugdev",
    USER="yourUserNname"

Replace the VendorID and ProductID with the numbers from the lsusb result and yourUserNname with your username.
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0421", SYSFS{idProduct}=="043a", GROUP="plugdev", USER="marius"

Save and close it.

Step 3 - Final adjustments

Right click on your desktop and choose the 'Create Launcher...' Place the name whichever you want and type the

command into command section
    java -jar /home/YOURUSERNAME/obexftp-frontend-0.6.1-bin/OBEXFTPFrontend.jar
    Replace YOURUSERNAME with your username. Now
    1. Insert /usr/bin/obexftp in the ObexFTP path field.
    2. Choose USB on the Transport option and set the Value filed to 1.

Now you are ready to use the connection.

If everything you have done regarding installation but you USB device is not showing in the window so may be you are suffering from some problem like:
    1. Check your connection
    2. Check your data transfer cable
    3. May be your USB port is not working

In these cases you need to configure your bluetooth connection but it is mandatory to have bluetooth capability into your PC and mobile phone both.If you don't have bluetooth capability and access the data then you need to use data card reader and place your phone memory card into card reader and mandatory to have USB port.
    If you are using Laptop then check have you data card port or not that comes inbuilt into your laptop if manufacturer would provide you.

About Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu, operating system developed by the worldwide expert developers. It provide all the applications that you need to use for home PC or Commercial purpose Like: web browser, office suite, Multimedia tools and applications ,instant messaging,Etc. It is an open-source alternative to Windows and Office.It comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies from across the world.
    It is handled by open source community and if you want to be a part of it then get registered, then you would be allow to improve it and pass it on.

1) Ubuntu is rich in the category of drivers; it's compatible with ore hardware
    2) Ubuntu is free available on thier official site ; Vista is so far from free
    3) Ubuntu provide most powerful security tools. Most malware is written to attack on Windows.
    4) Ubuntu has more powerful user-configuration tools, if you know scripting
    Last edited by ZeDaX; 14-01-2010 at 01:40 PM.