Thread: Cannot Sync Keychains from old comp to new comp

Cannot Sync Keychains from old comp to new comp

I have just bought a new Macbook Pro which is running on Snow Leopard. I have an older Mac which is running on OS X 10.2. I have installed Mobile Me in the New Macbook to be able to sync keychains from the old Mac. But whenever i try to sync my keychains, it keeps asking for the password for Mac. I entered the password for my Macbook but i get an error message saying wrong password entered. Therefore I am not able to Sync the keychains from Old Mac to New Macbook Pro. If anybody knows a solution about syncing the old mac to New Mac, then please let me know.

Re: Cannot Sync Keychains from old comp to new comp

It is possible that the password you are entering is wrong and hence the system is prompting the error that you have entered the password incorrectly. The passwords of the system are case sensitive and hence the chances of the user entering them incorrectly are more. Check if the capslock is on while entering the password. Also try and change the password of the Macbook to some simple password which does not have numbers or special characters. After changing the password, see if you are able to sync two Mac systems or not.

Both the Mac should be in working condition so that you are able to sync them. As you are want to sync the old Mac to a new one, check if the old computer is working properly or not. You will not be able to sync the computers if one of them is not working properly. Some people may suggest you to that the operating system on both the systems should be same in order to sync them but it is not necessary. You can sync two computers which are running on different operating system, as long as they are Mac system and they are in working condition.

The password which the application is asking to enter is not the password of the New Macbook pro but the password of the older Mac. All the synchronizing software's require the permission of the destination computer so that it can be synced. This to ensure that both the computers agree on the data being synced. It does not ask the password of the new Mac because the application is running on it and hence has the permission to sync. Therefore whenever the system asks for the Password while syncing, enter the password of the destination Mac.

I think the problem you are facing is due to the version of Mobile Me which you are using for syncing two computers. Mobile Me is available in two versions, 1 trial and 1 is paid version. If you are using a Trial version of Mobile Me then it is possible that the trial period is over and hence it is not allowing you to sync the systems. The password which it is asking may be the activation code which is required to make the application full version. If it is paid version then check if the license of the software has not expired. In both the cases you will have to pay for getting a new license for the software in order to be able to use the application to sync two computers.

If you have forgot the password of the system then follow these steps to reset the password for the Keychains :-
    1) Open the Finder and choose the Utilities from the Go menu.
    2) Now open the Terminal and enter the following command.
    "/System/Library/Frameworks/SecurityFoundation.framework/Versions/A/kcSync.app/Contents/MacOS/kcSync -reset"
    3) Now Press Enter.
    After entering this command the terminal will show that the command was executed successfully. After the command is executed successfully, quit the terminal and then re-enable the sync properties from the Mobile Me preferences. Note that the command given below will only work on the operating system version later than 10.5. Hope this post helps