Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOL problem with windows 7

AOL problem with windows 7

i am using an hcl me laptop with windows 7 installed. last week i installed the AOL for windows 7 all was running smoothly till yesterday when i clicked for signing in. A little tiny window pops-up when i click OK on that window a new window pops up which also has nothing except the OK button. After clicking it several times AOL starts to load and then the window pops up again. I don't know what's the problem with AOL in windows 7. As it was working smoothly windows Vista. Please help me

Re: AOL problem with windows 7

Can you please specify whether you have installed the AOL freshly or you have upgraded it from one of its earlier version. It's quite possible that some of the registry files might not have been transferred properly. Hence i would recommend you to download the file on to your system and then install it again.

Sounds like you have installed an AOL version which is not compatible with windows 7. This is the only reason behind the problem you mentioned in your reply. I think you might check the version of AOL and try to install the AOL 9.5 in your system which works nicely in windows 7. Mention the version in your further replies.

Thanks for replying me . I am using the 9.5 version itself as you asked me to mention the version also i have checked it with microsoft that the AOL 9.5 is compatible with windows 7. I made a fresh install of AOL 9.5 onto my system but this could not help me. Any other ideas please help me.

I think that you are facing this problem due to some error in your registry files. To solve this you will have to register the dll files again. I have mentioned the method to register your files below.

* Open start menu select all programs then select accessories.
    * Right click on cmd from the programs list and select “Run as administrator”.
    * Type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll and press Enter.

If the registration goes fine , you should now see the following message:
    “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded”.

4. Restart your computer.

In this matter i would suggest you to remove all the traces of the aol with the help of Windows Installer CleanUp Utility present in your system. After all the traces of aol has been removed. Download a fresh copy of the AOL's latest version and then install it again. It will work for sure

Windows7Guy Guest

Have you checked compatibility?
    Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
    Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx
    There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.

angry Re: AOL problem with windows 7

I have the exact same problem as Bearer. I tried several times to install AOL 9.5 on my brand new laptap that came installed with Windows 7 Starter. AOL claims 9.5 is the only version compatible with Windows 7. A tiny box keeps popping up with nothing but "OK" in it. The software simply does not function properly. I spoke with several techs on their chat line and tried several fixes that they suggested. None worked. I even sent them a screen shot of what I was getting. They were totally dumbfounded and basically told me they could not help me but would report the problem. I also tried all the fixes mentioned in this thread. None of them worked. AOL has a major glitch in their new software and needs to get it fixed.

I'm glad to see my persistent problems with AOL (v 9.1, 9.5, 10) presented here. Log in, get "OK" blank box. Click OK numerous times, get mail. Blank Welcome screen, glitchy everything, graphics won't load. Want to check mail again? Click OK again several times, get mail, go back to Square One. I have yet to find any version of AOL that will work with my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It's AOL. They need to work on this problem. I'm not downloading anymore versions of AOL until they do something about this. Their fixes are always the same--clear your cache. Nope, that's not going to do it. Get a tech department that knows more than "clear your cache". You need to figure out why AOL software doesn't work with Windows 7. AOL 9.1 works better than later versions, but that's not saying much.

Re: AOL problem NOT just with 7---XP too

I've had the same problem on a customer's Windows XP machine.

I don't think this has anything to do with what version of windows you've got.

-Dave

Got the same problem with Vista. Got it when I downloaded a new version of AOL. I have reloaded and done everything but I can't get it to go away. The OK button is driving me crazy.......

Hi dasi11,

Have you tried repait installing the AOL, for that you have to go to Control Panel and select Add/REmove Programs. Click the AOL Uninstaller and when the list is brought up of components, select and remove the ACS (AOL Connectivity Service). It might be corrupted. Restart your computer and it will be rebuilt again. Hope that works

Thank you for your help. I just completed the add/remove and it did not help.
    OK button just keeps popping up and driving me crazy. It is totally related to AOL and AOL offers no help. I have called and they have no idea....

I have had this same issue. I have used AOL for years. I'm using Windows VISTA Home Edition-32bit, and never had this problem until a couple of weeks ago. That little OK box not only pops up, but it shuts down AOL on me and then it continuously resets AOL after that. AOL is pretty much useless to me now.

OMFG Re: AOL problem with windows 7

I started having this same problem with Windows Vista 32-bit. I've used AOL for years and have never had this issue until about 3 months ago when I installed McAfee. I uninstalled McAfee, but it didn't fix the problem. After Googling the issue, and not being able to find a solution, I broke down and called AOL. They told me it was a known issue with AOL 9.6 and McAfee. He put me through some gyrations and then he had me install something else to completely remove all of the McAfee files. He assured me it would fix the problems. It didn't. I'm still getting a blank box with an OK button in it, with a little red "x" in the upper right-hand corner. If I click on the red X to get the box to go away, it shuts AOL down. When the box pops up, my system freezes. I have to click on OK several times to close the box down. Frustrating!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast