Thread: Could not open key UNKNOWN - Itunes

Could not open key UNKNOWN - Itunes

Hi,

I have downloaded itunes on my window vista pc successfully but I am having a problem with the installation of iTunes. I've been trying to use 64-bit installer and have tried to disable my anti-virus software. when I am trying to install Itunes but I get the error message "Could Not open key: Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\.........." I have removed previous versions of iTunes and deleted all the previous user and I am the administrator accounts of the PC. Am I missing something?

Re: Could not open key UNKNOWN - Itunes

Remove the itunes completely then reinstall it again, to do this follow the below procedure :
    1. Quit iTunes.
    2. Click Start, click Control Panel.
    3. In the Control Panel, click "Uninstall a program". This will open the Control Panel "Programs and Features".
    4. In addition, you can select the window control panel in the classical form of the element of "Programs and Features".
    5. In the list of installed programs, select iTunes and click "Remove.
    6. When asked about the need to uninstall iTunes, click "Yes".
    7. After removal does not restart the computer if prompted.
    8. If the Control Panel Programs and Features "lists the other records on programs for iTunes, delete them.
    9. At the panel "Programs and Features" and remove all the listed programs iPod Updater, similarly to how to remove the program iTunes.

As Valerian said, but before reinstalling intunes verify that the iTunes program and its related components are completely removed, to do this follow the steps below :
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. After the computer in the window "Computer, open Local Disk (C: ) or any other drive that is running the program.
    3. Open the folder Program Files.
    4. Right-click the folder iTunes, click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". Note. If the program iTunes was removed in step 1-7, this folder may be absent.
    5. Right-click the folder iPod, click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". In the derivation of the Windows prompted to confirm or to continue, click "Continue".
    6. Right-click the folder QuickTime (if it exists), then click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". In the derivation of the Windows prompted to confirm or to continue, click "Continue".
    7. Right-click the folder Bonjour (if it exists), then click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes. In the derivation of the Windows prompted to confirm or to continue, click "Continue".
    8. Open the Common Files.
    9. Right-click the folder, Apple (if it exists), then click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". In the derivation of the Windows prompted to confirm or to continue, click "Continue".
    10. In the "Computer", open the local disk (C: ) or any other drive on which Windows is installed.
    11. Open the folder Windows.
    12. Open the folder System32.
    13. Right-click the file QuickTime (if it exists), then click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". In the derivation of the Windows prompted to confirm or to continue, click "Continue".
    14. Right-click the file QuickTimeVR (if it exists), then click "Delete" when prompted to confirm the deletion, click "Yes". In the derivation of the Windows prompted to confirm or to continue, click "Continue".
    15. Right-click shopping cart and then click "Empty Trash".

I am currently having this same error when trying to reinstall iTunes 9 x64. When first installed, the installer froze. I uninstalled it and reinstall successfully, but I was wrong about "the necessary software to communicate with iPods and mobile phones has not been installed correctly." It offered to repair, but this seems to do nothing.

To remove your error, Go to that registry folder, instead of simply adding "everyone" permissions, click Advanced -> Auditing -> Add -> Advanced -> Find Now -> Add and manager & everyone -> back to the audit section -> check "Replace all existing inheritable ..." -> Click the effective permissions -> Select -> Advanced -> Find Now -> Organize -> make sure everything is checked and do for everyone, so -> click until you exit the Permissions section -> then again on permits and undo everything you've done -> try to access the keys and see if they can help them.

Hey Guys,

I had the same problems with the modifying of the UNKNOWN/Components/... registry stuff.. It came down, as SimonBoss said, to security settings on a key in the registry.

Rich Morgan
    Last edited by Maqbool; 29-04-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: External Links Not allowed, removed the same.