Thread: Project Import converted all Images to Thumbnail

Project Import converted all Images to Thumbnail

Hi, I am in a real fix and need your help. I have recently transferred a project from the External drive to My Macbook Pro. After Importing the Project, all the Images are of Thumbnail size. Is it possible that importing project converts all the Images into thumbnails? The Macbook is running on OS X 10.5 operating system and I am using Aperture 2.1.4 to view the images. Is there something wrong with Aperture? or the problem is with the Project files?

Re: Project Import converted all Images to Thumbnail

What kind of project are you talking about? If it is a Image project then see to it that all the original images which are present in the project are present on the hard disk of Macbook pro. To access the actual image from the project the system should have the original image saved on it first. Whenever a project is saved, the images which are present in it are saved as Thumbnail images. When the Project is transferred these thumbnail files are transferred hence you are able to view the images as thumbnails only. Re transfer the project again and see if you are able to see the images properly.

If a project is made using Aperture then the original images which are there in the project are not saved in the project. Instead thumbnail images are saved of the original images. Hence when the project is transferred from one hard disk to other only the Thumbnail images get transferred not the original images. Hence you are only getting thumbnail images on your Macbook. Transfer the original images from the external hard drive to the Macbook and then open the project, you will be able to view the Images at their original resolution.

I think the problem is with the version of the Aperture you are using. Normally all the image files get transferred from the source to destination when the project file is transferred. Check the preferences of the Aperture you are using and see if it is enabled to transfer the original image files when the Project is transferred. Normally it is configured so as to transfer the Original images when the project is transferred, if it is not then enable it and transfer the project again. If the feature is enabled and still you are getting thumbnail images then Re-install Aperture to solve the problem.

The project which you have made is not saved properly I think. If the project is created and saved properly then the Images are automatically consolidated from the source when the project is transferred. As you are not able to see the images properly, the problem can be because of difference of version in creation and viewing of the Project or error while creation of project. If the project is created using some other version of Aperture then it would not open properly in latest version. Check the version in which the project is created and version in which the project is used.

Project file which you are using seems to be corrupted, as you have mentioned that the file was saved on an External drive before it was transferred to the Macbook for viewing. External drives are very unreliable mode of data storage. Data stored on the external drive gets corrupted due to improper storage of the hard drive or due to physical damage. Check if the project file you are using is not corrupted by checking the disk consistency of the drive on which it was stored.