Thread: Cannot uninstall Works & MSI Error on program startup

Cannot uninstall Works & MSI Error on program startup

My problem is that I am not able to uninstall the Microsoft Office Works. When I am trying to uninstall the Works, I am getting the message "Error 1316. A Network error occurred while attempting to read from file C:\windows\installer\works8.msi" Does anyone know how to remove this error?? Also when I start my computer or a program the message pops up "Please wait while windows configures ccCommon" followed by another box which says "This MSI must be launched through setup". I have to click OK everytime when the box appears. Please help me solving these problems.!!
    AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2Ghz
    Asus A7V8X-LA
    120Gb Seagate barracuda 7200Rpm Ultra-ATA 100
    Elixir 512mb DDR Pc3200 (Soon 1Gb)
    Club 3D Radeon 9600 256Mb
    Lite-On Cd & Dvd writer combo
    IDE-Dvd drive
    400w Psu
    Windows Xp Pro Sp2
    Advent Wireless Mouse & Keyboard.

Re: Cannot uninstall Works & MSI Error on program startup

Since the message "Please wait while windows configures ccCommon" is coming when you start the system, that means it has something to do with the anti virus. Also I think that ccCommon is part of Norton/Symantec antivirus. Are you using the Norton or Symantec antivirus?? It seems that it's having an issues. I would like to recommend you to uninstall that anti virus and then try to run the program. I think that it will definitely work properly afterwards. If you are not able to remove the anti virus then you will have to download the Norton Removal Tool. This tool will forcefully remove the applications.

Have you tried to remove the Microsoft Office Works using the Control Panel's Add / Remove program.? First try to uninstall it from the Control Panel. Press Start Button and then select the Control Panel in the Settings option. After going in the Control Panel select the Add / Remove program if you are using the Windows XP or the Programs in the Windows Vista. In that select the Works and then click on the Uninstall. The program that you selected will be uninstalled. Hope that you will able to uninstall the Works using the Add / Remove program.

If you are having the Windows Works disk, then you can insert the disk. Now select the option uninstall. When you uninstall it gives you the option to repair the application. Then click on the repair and repair the application. After repairing then if you don't want that application you can uninstall it. This is useful when you are not able to uninstall from the Control Panel. Many times due to the Registry corruption the applications cannot be removed by the Control Panel. So you can use this method. First repair it , make working it proper and then uninstall it.

When you get the pop up like "Windows cannot uninstall Works" that means some of you registries are having an issue. At such times you can use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility that might help you. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Also the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall. After doing the CleanUp of your system you may able to remove the Works.