Thread: MS Project 2007 - Parent Task Calculates Duration Incorrectly

MS Project 2007 - Parent Task Calculates Duration Incorrectly

I'm having trouble getting my parent task to calculate the duration column properly.

When I go to the parent task summary / advanced, task type displays faded as "Fixed Duration" I can't change this setting.

The sub tasks are set up on a 12-hour calendar, so 12-hours = 1 day. The sub tasks total 23-hours correctly in the parent tasks "work" column, but the "Duration column reads 0.67 days.

What did I do wrong?

Re: MS Project 2007 - Parent Task Calculates Duration Incorrectly

Follow the below steps:

1. On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.
    2. Click the row for the task that you do not want to use effort-driven scheduling.
      • To change up to 10 tasks at once, hold down CTRL and click the row for each task. If the tasks appear next to each other in the grid, click the first task and then hold down SHIFT and click the last task to select the entire block of tasks.
    3. Click Task Information, and then click the Advanced tab.
    4. Clear the Effort driven check box.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    Follow the below steps:

1. On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.
    2. Click the row for the task that you do not want to use effort-driven scheduling.
      • To change up to 10 tasks at once, hold down CTRL and click the row for each task. If the tasks appear next to each other in the grid, click the first task and then hold down SHIFT and click the last task to select the entire block of tasks.
    3. Click Task Information, and then click the Advanced tab.
    4. Clear the Effort driven check box.
    Thanks for the reply, but there's a problem with de-selecting "Effort driven." This box is faded so I can't change it. I can remedy this by changing the indent on my subtasks to the same level as my parent task. Doing this, however, doesn't link the sub task to the parent. When I indent the sub tasks, I loose control of the parent.

Any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by freakp View Post
    I'm having trouble getting my parent task to calculate the duration column properly.

When I go to the parent task summary / advanced, task type displays faded as "Fixed Duration" I can't change this setting.

The sub tasks are set up on a 12-hour calendar, so 12-hours = 1 day. The sub tasks total 23-hours correctly in the parent tasks "work" column, but the "Duration column reads 0.67 days.

What did I do wrong?
    The duration of a summary task is not the sum of the durations of the subtask -- it is the span of time from the start of the earliest subtask to the finish of the last.

Summary tasks are fixed duration and this cannot be changed because they are calculated.

Are your subtasks linked to one another? If they overlap, they may only take less than one day.

Give us more details on the relationships between the subtasks and we may be able to sort this out.

Also, you might want to post future questions about Microsoft Project to the forum devoted to Project:

http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/

Julie