Thread: Error-Microsoft Office Word 2007 has encountered a problem and needs to close

Error-Microsoft Office Word 2007 has encountered a problem and needs to close

I am using the Microsoft Office 2007. My problem is whenever I try to close the applications of the MS Office 2007 like Word/Excel,etc. I get the pop-up of Error message stating "Microsoft Office Word (any application that I am using) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This happens when I try to close the applications of the MS Office. I am using the Windows XP as my Operating System. Please help me by telling how to fix this problem..!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signatureto help him gain world domination

Re: Error-Microsoft Office Word 2007 has encountered a problem and needs to close

The Error "Microsoft Office Word 2007 has encountered a problem and needs to close" comes mostly when you are not having the proper updates of the MS Office. I would like to suggest you to download the proper updates needed for your MS Office 2007 from the Microsoft Download Center. Once you download the latest updates available for the MS Office, I think that your problem will definitely get solved.

Re: Error-Microsoft Office Word 2007 has encountered a problem and needs to close

The error that you have mentioned may either be caused by a recently installed software that might have conflicted with the applications of your MS Office. Also there are chances of getting the Normal.dot corrupted. This Error can also generate when your Normal.dot becomes corrupted. At such scenario, you would have to restore the system to an earlier date, if possible. Otherwise you will have to repair your MS Office.

The problem may occur when the files of the applications of MS Office are corrupted or they are missing. The files usually gets corrupted because of the Virus infection. There is very rare chance of deleting such files manually. So I would recommend you to scan your system with an updated anti virus. Once you scan your system and you are sure that there is no malware or the Virus then try to repair the Office. Because without scanning if you repair Office, there are chances of having this problem again. So try to scan first and then repair.

According to me, Uninstalling and Reinstalling rarely fixes any Office problems. The problems that are caused to the MS Office is mostly because of third party add-in. So I would suggest you to start Word in Safe Mode. Once you enter into the Safe Mode, then go to the Run by pressing the Start Button and clicking on Run. In the open box type
    winword /a
    and then press enter. Try to close the MS Word. Does Word close now without giving any error? If it does than there is an incompatible add-in that is breaking Word's Close command.

idea Re: Error-Microsoft Office Word 2007 has encountered a problem and needs to close

I had the very same problem. My hardware engineer sacrificed his Sunday to work on it. I too tried guessing. No uninstalling / reinstalling of MS Office helped. Formatting HDD briefly helped. The problem was back there this morning. It struck me then that it might have something to do with the HP Officejet All-in-one that I had bought recently. I disabled HP Imaging Monitor and the connected printers (there were two - DJ 370 and OJ J 3608). Well, the problem seems to be sorted out.

I have now slowly, with doubts and prayer, reconnected them all. Now I wait for the next surprise. HP, I think, have not been very successful on the software front. I could not get much help from them on another matter.

But this needs confirmation. I am not a techie, just an inquisitive layman.

Regards.

Ganesh P.
    Last edited by ganeshpgan@gmail.com; 18-01-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Just to make it better