Thread: Software to view images in linux

Software to view images in linux

Hello
    I am a new user of Ubuntu, I can not find the right software to view my photos and make some simple treatments. With Windows, I used xnview which suited me.
    In practice, I wish I could:
    - Rename a list of images: changing DSC_nnnn by toto_1 then 2 then 3.
    - Browse my directory manually, make the necessary rotations (without loss of definition), destroy or safeguard
    - Start a Slideshow

I tested the following software:
    - Eye of GNOME (which is the software by default), there is no shortcut to put in the basket and I did not find the "slideshow"
    - GThumb: I have no rotation or making the basket accessible via the toolbar
    - F-Spot: I do not know how to read him one of my directories, it gives me pictures that were on my apn but I have since transferred to a personal directory, is there anyone can m to indicate where F-Spot will read the pictures as I'd like to do household
    - DigiKam: might be responding to my needs but I do not understand all the options and I have lots of questions about the setup, I have the version I saw the need to install packages for the French, but beginner on Ubuntu, I do not know how and I am afraid of doing more harm than good: for now I am content software available in the software library or via the Synaptic package manager.
    Also for this latter reason that I dare not get into the facility xnwiew or picasa.

Do you have the same needs and how do you respond? I would appreciate your feedback. Subsidiary question: Is it possible to change the playback software default picture: for example when I double-click on my picture, open it with digiKam.
    Last edited by Kingfisher; 11-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Re: Software to view images in linux

Hello,
    Subsidiary question: Is it possible to change the playback software default picture: for example when I double-click on my picture, open it with digiKam.
    To answer a question Subsidiary:
    -> Right click on a picture
    -> then go to properties
    -> open with
    -> and select or add the program with which you want to open your photos

Hello,
    gThumb to me is most suitable for your use and lighter to use. I have version 2.10.8 and I have the functions of rotation and integrated deletion, rotation or removal, Right click on a picture and choose the function. Rotation: menu tools. To bulk rename several files, I advise you pyrenamer (installed by synaptic) it is very simple and very powerful.

Hi,
    xnview is also known xnview_mp. I'm also a believer, but in addition, Eye of gnome (default) and ristretto to display simple and slightly more. For those that gimp is very complicated. Finally, welcome to the free software, you are looking for an app, you find in full and you do not know what to choose. Conclusion does not hesitate to seek advice and see documentation.

Hello
    Thank you all for your answers, it is true that the choice is wide and I was losing myself a little, especially since some usability are sometimes hidden, for example, is testing the rotation gThumb via "Tools menu" keyboard shortcut that I have been asked, why is it not offered at "menu tool? I suspect the developers of Linux software to try to struggle against the laziness of the user.

Hello,
    If you have only simple changes to make on photos, there is a module to Nautilus to do basic things directly Nuatilus, in synaptic, install nautilus-image-converter. You will be able to rotate, resize directly from Nautilus with a simple right click. Hope this information help you and choice a good image manipulating program. If you have any more problems regarding this topic then do post back.