Thread: While Installing Visual SourceSafe 6 pops up Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction"

While Installing Visual SourceSafe 6 pops up Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction"

When trying to install the Visual SourceSafe 6.0 i am getting the Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction". When i tried to search on Google i didn't find any good solutions. Also i don't have any information about this Error message. I am using the Windows Vista as my operating system. Is it anything wrong with my application setup.?? Since there are no scratches on it, i think that it should work properly. Does anyone have idea how to fix this error ?? Please reply me soon.
    Last edited by MELTRONICS; 09-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    3.2 (northwood)
    2gig ram
    ATI AIW X800xt 256mb
    Gigabyte GA-8knxp 875p Chipset
    Optiwrite 8X DVD Burner
    Win XP PRO Sp2 (Works Perfectly)
    2 SATA Raptor 74gig Raid 0
    2 7200 IDE 320gig HD

Re: While Installing Visual SourceSafe 6 pops up Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction"

I think that you should check doing the following things for solving the Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" :
    • Try to delete/re-extract the possibly corrupt ntvdm files.
    • Also run the SystemFileChecker (sfc.exe) that can detect the possible corrupt files related to the ntvdm.
    • Adding the server in config.nt may also solve your issue.
    • Try to increase the FILES number in config.nt
    Hope that this will help you.

Re: While Installing Visual SourceSafe 6 pops up Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction"

Have you scanned your system with an updated anti virus. I was having the similar issue which got solved after scanning my system with updated anti virus. The anti virus caught some trojan and then later I didn't get that error message. I think that same thing is happening with you. Also try to scan the application that you are using. The virus might have infected the setup file of that generating the error. While copying the application files that are required for Setup, if some files are corrupted then also you can get this error. Hope that scanning will solve the issue.

I am bit confused because this error seems to come on the Windows 2000 and not the Windows Vista. Anyways these are the steps to follow on Windows 2000 to recover the error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" :
    • First check the Config.nt and Autoexec.nt.
    • Then rename the Autoexec.bat.
    • Check for changes in Win.ini or System.ini, or replace by expanding the original files off of the installation media.
    • If possible try to rename all other *.ini files.
    • Then verify the environment variables.
    • Make sure that the path is the same as the default path off of the CD.
    • Also check the related registry entries.

Even I think that the error is coming because of missing or corrupted files. There is more chances of getting the files corrupted than the missing. You can also try the DLLs under the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\W
    Also you may want to try the forceful method which is doing a parallel installation with all updates and to copy the %SystemRoot%\System and %SystemRoot%\System32 from the parallel installation to the new system.

The Error "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" comes normally when the required files are missing or corrupted. So I would like to suggest you to check the application Visual SourceSafe 6 that you are installing. There are also chances of that application having the errors. So check the system by running SystemFileChecker (sfc.exe). That will perform the checking of the files of your system and corrupted files will be repaired.