Thread: .jpg created in ubuntu 9.10 is unable to read in windows

.jpg created in ubuntu 9.10 is unable to read in windows

Hello,
    I had some problems with Vista so I started with linux and now I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 - the Koala Karmic and GNOME version: 2.28.1. But I have a problem: after I posted. Jpg photos on my computer and I want to go to a friend (who uses Windows) or via USB key that I want to print at a shop, it is impossible to read. In short it is impossible to read jpg images on windows which are created on ubuntu. Does any one has a reason for this behavior or is there any solution for this. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ISAIAH; 09-01-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Re: .jpg created in ubuntu 9.10 is unable to read in windows

Hi,
    No, there is no reason why it does not work with what you save your pictures? Be more specific in what you say, the "it does not work" tells us nothing! What do you mean by that? What is the image manipulating program you are using? Are you creating the images or just downloading from internet? It would be better if you provide some more information, so that we can understand and give you a proper solution.

Hello,
    Well the whole thing is, I save the images on my hard drive from an external HD used for backup during the migration from Vista to Ubuntu. Then when I record them on a USB stick and try to view them from it in a computer running Windows, I get an error message "Unable to read file" or "no preview available ". Is my procedure correct? Or I have to follow something other procedure to do it?

Hello,
    May be a problem for non-recognition of format for Windows, tries to rename them. jpeg or. jpeg. I think (I do not know if it's still true), that it recognizes only win as a file extension. But this is really wired, I have not heard any thing like this before. By my knowledge .jpg is an universal format, so it should be detected on any operating system, and on windows definitely.

Hi,
    It may also be a problem of formatting the key. If the key is formatted in NTFS otherwise I'm not sure windows or simply drawing recognize the EXT3 or EXT4. I'll make a test with formatting to FAT32. Try to send a photo by mail on a desktop windows and see if it works like that. This should not give an problem atleast on windows, but do not know why you are getting such a problem. If you have any live cd then try creating any image through that cd and then test it with windows.

Hello,
    In his second message, as you said: "I get an error message" Unable to read file "or" no preview available "is that Windows has access to the partition so it is not formatted EXT. For permissions on files, they are not kept on a partition "Windows". Now I have nothing else to propose to argue that the same proposal as above posted. Have you tried it?