Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Problem with Bitlocker

Windows Software

Old 08-01-2010

Problem with Bitlocker

Okay now this is seriously a very weird issue which I am facing.
I installed Bitlocker few months back. And now from past a week it suddenly started behaving weirdly.
I have like three drives C, D, E respectively partitioned on my system. And there is Bitlocker given on drive D. Now the main issue with Bitlocker is that it is not letting me enter my password for Drive D when I try to access it.
Till last week I was able to enter password and was able to access that drive also without any problem.
But now it gives error, I mean I don't get any chance to type in my password also. The error which I get is "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel"
Now can someone please suggest me some solution and help me out.

Old 09-01-2010

Re: Problem with Bitlocker

Yeah this is a very weird issue. Even I am seeing some thing like this for the first time.
Well now over here you have to try different things and see it that clicks. Because we are not sure of why exactly this error comes up.
Have you installed any software lately. Or have you done any changes to the registry manually.
Try doing a registry cleanup. Or try re-associating the BitLocker drive with the program it uses.
Old 09-01-2010

Well I don't think I have installed any software from past two weeks. But I have to check with my sister who also uses this computer. Which is why I use Bitlocker.
Anyways and I haven't done any changes to the registry. And I am sure that my sister has also not because she doesn't know much about computers.
And about registry clean up, I don't know how to do that. What are the steps which should be followed. And I didn't understand by re-associating Bitlocker drive with the program it uses. I am really sorry but even I am new to this computer world.
And I don't want to loose any data from that drive. So please suggest some solution which will not make that drive empty.
Old 09-01-2010

Hey don't worry, I don't think you will loose your data. And as you said that you don't know how to clean up registry then don't try to also. Because if anything goes wrong in registry then you will have to format your whole system and you will then loose all your data.
And even I am not aware about that re-associating thing. So let it be.
Try the simplest and the safest method.
"System Restore"
Because I am sure there may be some problem with your system's registry.
Old 09-01-2010

Instead of using any third party software like Bitlocker to lock your drives, I would rather prefer the built in function of windows provided by Microsoft.
You just have to type in some commands in the Command Prompt Environment and that should encrypt your drive.
To do so, just follow the command given below.
1) Open Command Prompt
2)Change to %WINDIR%\System32
3)Enter cscript manage-bde.wsf -? - that will give you the commands to pass to the script to unlock or decrypt the drive.
Old 24-12-2010

I had the same problem! and I solved it by the following method:-
1)Rebooted my PC!
2)Control panel>Bit locker encryption
3)and there you'll have an option to unlock your drive
4)Unlock and disable the feature!! done

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , ,