Thread: Security flaw in Media Player

Security flaw in Media Player

A friend of mine told me about the security flaw in Windows Media Player. What is it about. And to what the flaw is related. He told me that his can cause virus and other online vulnerability in my computer without my knowledge. Which I regret. How to stop this thing. The same flaw or other thing is mentioned online in Windows Media player skin also. How to cope with this.

Re: Security flaw in Media Player

The new flaw in Windows Media Player. The protection susceptibility exists in an ActiveX which has the control shipped with Windows Media Player 9. And when it is demoralized it could allow the inaccessible attacker to see and manipulate the meta data which is in the media library on the your computer.

With the security flaw in Media Player. It has the ActiveX protection with the Windows Media Player 9 Series gives you the Web page authors, through which you can make web page which can play media and allow you to use the interface. Through which you can control the playback. When you visits a Web page with fixed media then the ActiveX protect and provides you the interface.

In the media player the flaw security is the very important. The flaw can exists to the way on which the ActiveX can protect and provides right to enter to the information the computer user. If the susceptibility exists because an attacker could appeal to the ActiveX protection from script code which may allow the attacker to see and influence meta data which is contained in the media library on the computer which you use.

To take the advantage of this error the attacker had to host the malevolent web site which will be having the web page which is designed to exploit this vulnerability. And this will influence the user to visit this site. Then the attacker do not have any way to force the user from that site. The attacker can also make a link with the malevolent site with the HTML email and which will send to the user.

In this the attacker could only have the right to enter to the manipulate media library on to the computer user. But the attacker will not be able to the hard disk of the user also not able the right to enter the passwords or the encrypted data. He also cannot modify any files from the hard disk of the user. The attacker any only change the contents of the Media Library entries associated with such files.