Thread: Editing text file through FTP, SSH, SCP

Editing text file through FTP, SSH, SCP

Hello,
    I need an editor who is capable of remote editing (such as windows, UltraEdit does it very well), using these protocols. On a daily basis I use Kate, but I can not find this feature. I know there are lots of lists of software for Linux on the forum and elsewhere, but it's hard to find a very specific feature, then a board would welcome. If anyone knows how to open a file from a remote xemacs or vim, I am customer information. If someone tells me that it's possible Kate and explain how I kissed his feet. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Kingfisher; 05-01-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Re: Editing text file through FTP, SSH, SCP

Hello
    I am surprised that this does not work at your house with Kate. I did it and in any case it works for FTP impec, and also with Kwrite. Since Konqueror, I explore a post by FTP, it shows me the remote files the same way as if they were local. On one file, I right click and Open With (file association work less well on remote drives, I do not know why), I put Kwrite, and I edit, I save, I edit, I save, I can forget that my file is on a post remote.

Hi,
    OK, so it's not the editor but the browser that handles the connection. I'll try it with konqueror, it will be better than anything I have now. In fact I tried it seems to work correctly with Konqueror. I think I have solved this question, but I'm always interested in other responses to my original question. It really works when it wants konqueror + kate. Sometimes it records distance, sometimes not, and there is an error message each time you open for it editing.

Hi,
    In this case Vim is your friend. You can replace scp ftp if you want or you can do this
    Code:
    vim ftp://test @ server_ftp / a_directory / example.ext
    or
    Code:
    vim ftp://test @ server_ftp / example.ext
    All thanks to my other friend google. FYI I tested using a Windows PC to an HP-UX server in ftp.

Hello
    Indeed, it works with vim, but apparently not with gvim. I found it a bit rough to have to do everything in command line (all paths to type) but actually it works very well with Kate (and probably a lot of other publishers), starting from the command line or by the various GUI tools, which is handy. My problem is solved, my mistake was in command of the remote opening, I put a ":" instead of slash, and no double-slashes in absolute paths. When we realized that everything works in fact. I always have a problem with the bunch of KDE does not like when I want to connect on the same server with different identifiers, but basically my problem is largely solved, thank you.

Hello
    I have no error message now, it opens a blank file. I may be mis-configured the component, having said that, my linux is installed anyhow.
    In my case it does not does not do wrong, kate and I use it just fine.
    Indeed, it works with vim, but apparently not with gvim.
    Even with gvim it works fine. Just try it again, read carefully the instructions and then try doing it.