Thread: VMWare Converter Problems on Windows Server 2003

VMWare Converter Problems on Windows Server 2003

I am running VMWare on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on both the source and destination server. The hardware is both Dell PE 2850 with 10krpm drives through a local Fiber switch. It claimed the file is corrupted (it is not). Then, I tried to convert a Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition VHD file. This time it said it could not identify the OS. I moved over to a PC running Windows XP SP2. For some reason when I use the option to "Allocate all disk space" for my 195 gig file server, I used 600 gigs for free space to "Pre Allocate" and it seems as though it's trying to create all 600 Gigs but crawling. How do i resolve VMWare converter problems on Windows Server 2003? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly help me to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: VMWare Converter Problems on Windows Server 2003

VMware Converter 3 has an easy-to-use wizard which guides you thru the configuration of the conversion task. There some potholes that hold up P2V migrations. Here are a couple of views from those who’ve taken a trip with VMware Converter. VMware vCenter Converter can run on a wide variety of hardware and supports most commonly used versions of the Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems.

VMware Converter provides an easy-to-use, scalable solution for migrations of machines, both physical to virtual and virtual to virtual. VMware Converter is supposed to (according to its data sheet) be able to convert Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 VHD images into VMware format disk images. The best approach to converting a Windows operating system to a virtual machine is to perform a hot migration with VMware Converter installed locally in the operating system.

VMware Converter reported that the file was corrupted despite the fact that I had just used it a few minutes earlier before shutting it down for the conversion attempt. If this is not possible, a remote hot migration is the next best choice. Performing a cold migration using the Converter boot CD is the final choice as it may require additional drivers.

VMware Converter installs an agent on the remote machine in order to copy the contents of the disks in a consistent state. With VMware Converter being available in the FREE Starter Edition, there is no reason not to try out VMware Converter 3.0 and start converting those physical machines to virtual machines. The virtual machine files will be copied to a network share by this agent. VMware Converter combines and expands the functionality available in P2V Assistant and Virtual Machine Importer. It eases interoperability among VMware hosted products (Workstation, VMware Server, and VMware Player), VirtualCenter-managed ESX Server 3.x and 2.5.x, and unmanaged ESX Server 3.x.