Thread: Best utilities for Linux

Best utilities for Linux

I need some best freeware utilities for Linux. I have a ubuntu desktop computer. I had installed Wine and currently I am using some windows application on it. But they are now working fine. I need suggestion on linux based utility software's like vMWaRe. Also post the features and description on the same.

Re: Best utilities for Linux

Ghost script is composed of a panel of software whose function is to analyze, translate into various other formats but also run programs written in Postscript and PDF, to view and print them. The Postscript and PDF files can even be mutually translated from one language to another. Ghost script includes capabilities that improve the graphics usually reduced to the bare minimum files to Postscript and PDF.

Clonezilla to create a partition and clone your disk. So you can make an ISO image and save it on a partition on your disk or CD boot. The software supports file system sizes to EXT2, EXT3, ReiserFS, XFS, JFS and LVM2, and makes copies of disk block to block, which improves the speed and efficiency of cloning. For network administrators, the multicast mode can be very useful to save or restore a set of computers.

Test Disk is a utility to recover data lost or damaged (for example viruses). It can even repair corrupted partition tables. The application supports more than a dozen file systems including FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2/EXT3 IBM Multiboot, NSS, etc.. Complementary tool to Test Disk, Photo Rec facilitates retrieval of video files, documents, images, files, even if the media is corrupt, it is a USB key, a memory card for camera, a hard disk, partition, etc.

Deep Freeze is a utility restoration. If your system never becomes unstable after an unfortunate maneuver, this software will restore the operating system, software and preference files each time you restart your computer. The configuration is fairly simple to install, you name the drives and folders to be restored if necessary and set a password to avoid false manipulation.

VMware is an application that gives you a fully functional PC in a window. Each PC is really a virtual machine running on your host computer. Complete support of network management means that each VM can have its own network address as a real machine. Many virtual machines can be started one after another. For example, users can simultaneously run Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Linux.