Thread: Vlookup problem in Excel

Vlookup problem in Excel

Hi Friends, I am having an excel sheet with a list of technical course and their respective course fees. On the sheet 2 a have a search column where whenever i type the course name it gives the fees according to the technical course name but whenever i make a mistake in typing the course name it gives me different course fees. There are basically two problems
    a) if i make a mistake in typing the name the a different feee is shown Secondly,
    b) If in the sheet 2 search column is blank the columns show #N/A.
    Please help me to get rid of these problems.

Re: Vlookup problem in Excel

Firstly i would like to know whether you are using the Optional range lookup . If yes Then specify that that is whether you keep it as true or false. If you are keeping it as false you will always get #N/A value if you input the wrong course name so always try to use it as True. I hope that this may have solved your problems.

Hi friend please try to be more specific to your point becausung i am not getting what mistakes are you talking about. If you are an Excel user you should obviously know that if you are typing in some wrong words it won't recognize it. You could use a Data validation list made up of the names that are in the table so that you wouldn't have to actually type the name. However, if you choose the wrong name from the list, Excel cannot understand that only you can, by typing in the correct name.

Thanks to all of you who replied and took the initiative to solve my problems Since some of you had not understood the situation properly that's why i am trying to explain it in different manner. I am having a list of courses in a sheet (Sheet!B3:B100) with some details and i want the result in a different sheet where i have a search column and in that search column i would like to use the VLOOKUP formula. I hope that this is somewhat more clearer so help me at your earliest.

You could use a Data validation list made up of the names that are in the table so that you wouldn't have to actually type the name. However, if you choose the wrong name from the list, even Excel can't "fix" that - only you can, by choosing a different name. hope this will help you .

If you want o avoid mistakes while you are entering the names of the technical courses use the list of names of B3 to B 200 as a validation list.
    To make the list follow the instrucyions below.
    1. Go to the search column and select the cell in which you enter the course name
    2.Now, Select data -> Datavalidation
    3.You will notice a dropdown list in that select list
    4.It will then ask for the range then just specify it.
    That is select the column which you want.
    5. Now use the excel VLOOKUP formula and keep the range lookup value to true and both of your problem will be solved.