Thread: emails missing after transferring from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail

emails missing after transferring from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail

Hello:

I am using Outlook Express. Today I was opening an attachmet sent to me, and suddenly I get this window telling me that all my emails are being transferred to Windows Live Mail. (I think I got it when I was updating MSN). As I didn'tknow what Windows live mail was and didnt want to transfer all my email there, I wanted to cancel the operation. But there was no cancel button, so I used task manager to restart the computer. After I relaunched Outlook express half of my inbox emails was missing. I found some of them in the Windows live mail, but most of them are gone and I dont know where to find them.
    Please help!

Thank you for your time.

Re: emails missing after transferring from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail

Outlook Express is a different application from Microsoft Office Outlook. The two programs do not share a common codebase, but do share a common architectural philosophy. I suspect that this is caused by having the wrong email client set as default. Change the default email client and see if that helps. And BTW, you may experience corruption because importing a pst file into Outlook can cause this. All you needed to do is to OPEN the pst file in Outlook. When you set up WLMd, it will auto-configure your existing accounts (POP3 and IMAP) and pick up email from Outlook Express. It will also collect your Live Hotmail, thus providing a vitally important offline backup.

Re: emails missing after transferring from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail

Quote Originally Posted by ThoMas321 View Post
    Outlook Express is a different application from Microsoft Office Outlook. The two programs do not share a common codebase, but do share a common architectural philosophy. I suspect that this is caused by having the wrong email client set as default. Change the default email client and see if that helps. And BTW, you may experience corruption because importing a pst file into Outlook can cause this. All you needed to do is to OPEN the pst file in Outlook. When you set up WLMd, it will auto-configure your existing accounts (POP3 and IMAP) and pick up email from Outlook Express. It will also collect your Live Hotmail, thus providing a vitally important offline backup.
    Thank you.
    I did change the default email client to OE, did not help.
    What is pst file?