Thread: How to Open .torrent Files on Windows Vista

How to Open .torrent Files on Windows Vista

I had been running Windows Vista on my system. Recently i had downloaded a torrent file on my machine. I had tried to open it, but couldn't open it. So, can any one tell me that how to open .torrent files on Windows Vista? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How to Open .torrent Files on Windows Vista

Torrents are small files that track files and programs listed on websites. There are a few things that you need to know before even starting to use torrent files and downloads. A torrent file can be thought of as a bookmark to a file that is stored on the hard drives of many users around the globe.

I highly recommend that you obtain a copy of a good virus software before even thinking about using torrent applications. Your computer uses this tracking info to connect to sources for the files and programs desired. The computer needs a bittorrent client program to "read" these instructions. BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used to distribute large amounts of data. The initial distributor of the complete file or collection acts as the first seed.

For that you WinRAR which is an "archive manager" program. Its job is to package and compress large files for more efficient downloading. Download and install a program to download torrents. Bittorrent (www.bittorrent.com) is a free, clean and widely-used client. There are many other programs as available as well, some with additional useful features, but others come with unwanted malware. nstall a good spyware program or backup your computer if you plan to download from un-checked or unknown sources. Windows Vista System Restore works well; for older versions of windows, install Norton Antivirus or any other reputable virus scanning program.

Search the net for a torrent that you would like to download. Stick with a reputable site because the world of torrents can be plagued with viruses if you're not careful. WinRAR is capable of squeezing a 1024 megabyte movie into 600 megabytes of smaller linked files. Because of its power and versatility, this tool is extremely popular amongst file sharers. To better check if a file is virus-free, look at comments under the torrent details to see what other users are reporting. Check the format of the torrent. If you have no idea how to open the file within the torrent, look for a different torrent that contains a file type you are more farmilar with, or figure out how to deal with the file type. File types like Winrar, zip, shn and flac can be intimidating at first, but it just takes a few minutes of research to figure out how to open/extract them.

Check the torrent's popularity. If there is no one currently seeding (hosting the full file) or leeching (downloading), it will take much longer for you to get the file; search for a more popular torrent. There are no open independent stable trackers out there, most of the trackers that can be used openly are either unstable or in some way connected to a bittorrent indexing site. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet with a slow download if the file you are requesting is rare. Click the link on the page to download the torrent. The computer will then ask you what program to use to open the torrent file. Selcet Bittorrent (or whatever other program) from the list and hit ok. The torrent client should then open up and the file you requested will begin downloading. Wait until it reaches 100 percent, then virus scan and open the file and enjoy.