Thread: Strange Error : General Protection Fault.!!

Strange Error : General Protection Fault.!!

I am facing very strange problem from yesterday. I was using Windows XP as my operating system, and suddenly after installing some software related to the Video Editing, I started getting the error message stating that "Trap 0000000D --- General Protection Fault ---". It showed my other things on the screen but I was not able to catch up all that. Now whenever I try to start the system I get the same error. Anyone has faced this strange problem ?? Please help me to solve this issue.!!
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

Re: Strange Error : General Protection Fault.!!

I think that some operating system files are missing that are used to start the system. Repairing the Windows XP will sort out this issue. For repairing follow the steps :

Insert your Windows XP bootable CD into CD-Drive. After then select the option "Install". After clicking on install, the Next screen that will appear will have one option as repair. Select that option and let the Windows repair the damaged files. When your repairing process will be completed you will be asked to reboot your system. After rebooting you will able to use your operating system Windows XP without losing any data.

I think that repairing the Windows XP will definitely solve your issue. This error is generated when the boot loader files are either corrupted or missing. I was having the similar problem. I then repaired my operating system (Windows XP) and then when I restarted my system, I was able to use it normally. Since I have done repairing, all my data was residing in my hard disk. So you can do it without having any tension of the data loss.

I would like to suggest you try to uninstall the software that you installed recently. Maybe that software has caused some problem. Without uninstalling that software maybe repairing will cause the same issue again later. So I would like to recommend you to uninstall the software that are recently added. If you are not able to do it in normal mode, try doing it in Safe Mode. I am sure that you will able to uninstall in the safe mode.

To uninstall the software from the Safe Mode keep pressing the F8 key when the system boots. Pressing the F8 will let you go into the safe mode. Once you enter the safe mode try to uninstall the software that you recently installed by Add / Remove program. You will get this option in Control Panel. You will able to uninstall the certain software from the Safe Mode. Hope uninstalling will fix your problem.

If you are not able to uninstall the software from the Safe Mode, then the only option for you is to Repair your Windows XP. This will surely fix your problem. But I would like to recommend you to first try to uninstall the software by the Safe Mode. If the problem persists, give the more details about the Error.