Thread: Internet Explorer x86 and x64 Disappear after Java Update

Internet Explorer x86 and x64 Disappear after Java Update

After a fresh install of Vista x64 I went to the Java website and installed the Java plug-in for the 64-bit os of IE8. I tested and Java worked. However, I noticed that after installing Java both of my desktop icons (x86 and x64) for IE8 were gone.

I went to 'All Programs' and found both icons missing as well. I typed in "Internet Explorer" in 'Search' and returned nothing.

I went to the IE8 website and downloaded IE8 (x86). On install I received the message: "This installation does not support your system architecture (32/64 bits)."

When I tried to install IE8 (x64) I received the message: "Unable to install as a newer version is running on your system."

I then went to Programs and Features and noticed that IE8 was missing there as well.

Does anyone know what happened or knows how to fix this problem where I can have access to IE8 again?

Re: Internet Explorer x86 and x64 Disappear after Java Update

I think that Internet Explorer is not removed properly from your system. So you can't install the other version while there is already same version existing. If it is not showing in Add / Remove program, you and delete the folder that is situated on C:/ Program Files/ Internet Explorer. Then you can try to install the new version from the internet. Also make sure that there are no Virus on your system.

You can fix this issue by adjusting the third party browser settings. For this follow this steps
    1.Go to Internet Explorer,
    2.Tools->Internet Options->"Advanced" tab,
    3.Select the checkbox titled "Enable third-party browser extensions"

The problem could be with the compatibility of the tool that you are updating with the browser. You need to install the java plugin required by the browser or it may be that the site may not be entrusted. You need to go to the Tools menu and then to the internet options. Now on the security tab go to the trusted site and add the site url through which you are updating the update. Click ok. This shall resolve.