Thread: Application Error: "Mp3 is not valid win32 application"

Application Error: "Mp3 is not valid win32 application"

I have IBM T43 CENTRINO 1871-AQ notebook with Windows XP installed. I just love to listen songs everyday. But from last few days, i have a problem. Whenever i try to play mp3 songs in media player with double clicking on the songs file then gets an "Mp3 is not valid win32 application", but if i take the song to the player it works. And yes i use internet also, sometime listen songs online also. But that no problem is there. What came be the reason behind it?? Is there problem with player or Operating System??Please help me out.
    Last edited by Kaleb; 25-12-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Re: Application Error: "Mp3 is not valid win32 application"

As per provided information by you, the Windows file association for .mp3 files is mixed up/ messed up. You told Windows XP is installed then follow this step:
    1] Go in My Computer or Windows Explorer , upside there Tools option, click on it, then click on Folder Options and choose File Types in it.
    2] Now, scroll down the list of registered file types until you see the .mp3 file type, then after left-click on it once to select it, and click on Advanced.
    3] You can see the list of Actions, in that "Play" should be the default (indicated by bold print). If "Play" is not selected as the default, make it SELECTED. And if
    "Run" is one of the listed actions, remove it.
    Hope this will fix your problem.

Maybe you would be playing the .mp3 files first time or your player would not be set to play the .mp3 files directly. So, to do this settings, right clicking on the .mp3 file and then click on the Open With. After this, there will be screen that Choose Program. This screen says select in which player you want to open this kind of file.In Choose program option, select windows media player or any other media player as the default program to open the .mp3 file with and also make sure/note that the check the box to always use that program to open that type of file is checked.

According my knowledge about computer error message " mp3. is not a valid win32 application" is responsible for few things mainly:
    1] If the .mp3 is been download and there might be something went wrong during downloading and the file is incomplete.
    2] It may a virus infection which also causes you this error.And more sadly the errors can still occur even after removal.
    I would advice you for running a couple of online scans, which may solve your problem. I personally think it might be because of virus only, as you use internet and there would not be good anti-virus software installed on your laptop. So, do use internet after installing the good and reliable anti-virus only.
    Last edited by chroma; 25-12-2009 at 02:09 PM.

There would be two scenario in your case, one would be that your file is corrupted and another is that .mp3 file type extension is not been associated. So, you try re-associate the .mp3 extension file by going in My Computer, then go Tool option and then File Option. Inside that go into File Type.
    ->To Add a new file type: Click The New button. and then Type the name of the file extension and Click Ok.
    ->To Modify the actions of a file type: Locate the file extension .mp3 to modify and highlight it. Then click on the Advanced button and modify a previous
    action, highlight the action in the Actions list and edit it. Otherwise, click New and create a new action.
    And if this does not work then your .mp3 file is been corrupted. Replace the File.

I also went through this error in past, and i fixed also. But in my case it was due to .mp3 file extension was not been set to any specific player. But i think it is not in your case, it is mostly due to any virus or worms. Try install some anti-virus and clean up your system, after doing this if it does not works then try and opt the system restore method. But before doing this take backup, so if something goes wrong then you get your data back. Hope this may fix your problem.