Thread: Txtsetup.sif issues while adding drivers

Txtsetup.sif issues while adding drivers

Recently i had bought a new bought a new Dell laptop. I had installed Windows Xp on it as my operating system. I am currently trying to add support for them and I am having some problems as well as some progress. Now the problem is that when i try to add any drivers on my system, it gives out a txtsetup.sif error message saying failed to add drivers on your system. So, can any body tell me that why i'm facing Txtsetup.sif issues while adding drivers on my system? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Txtsetup.sif issues while adding drivers

Txtsetup.sif is a setup information file (sif) used primarily for text mode setup (as the name implies). If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter. After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it. It can be used for other things however, such as the windows pe startup (the end of text mode and the beginning of Gui Mode is windows PE after all).

The text-mode setup uses the txtsetup.sif, it processes all sections and copies every file which meet the filter/requirements.You can use txtsetup.sif to include 3rd party drivers on the xp cd, modifying the minimum requirements to install windows, add files to your install, add or delete registry hives, and more. The gui-mode setup uses the layout.inf - the layout is a simple copy of txtsetup.sif EXCEPT that in this file the uncompressed size of the file is specified too. Additionally this files does not include the informations about basic hardware, this is already done txtsetup.sif and text-mode setup.

To remove a line from txtsetup.sif, either add a semi colon ( ; ) in front of the line or delete the line entirely. If you sysprep or RIS/WDS such a modified source, a windows based application reads the files, thus you need to edit layout.infif you boot from CD or floppy a dos based application reads the files required for setup, thus you need to edit txtsetup.sif.

Check hardware generally as well as overnight RAM testing loops, check HD for physical errors. From a working Windows XP PC, copy BOOT.INI, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM from the C:\ drive to a USB stick. Open a command prompt ('start\run' then type 'cmd) then type: Makecab (your drive letter):\bootcd\working\$OEM$\$1\drivers\(your RAID\SATA driver folder)\(the .sys driver filename you used in the text files above).sys (space) (yourdriveletter):\bootcd\working\i386\(.sys driver filename again).sy_

One important thing to note is that txtsetup.sif does not tell setup where to get the files from. ou wanna remove two drivers from the textsetup portion of the install? Delete ALL relevant entries in txtsetup.sif and delete the drivers files themselves from i386. It's sole function is to copy files to the correct folder, as the correct file name. Txtsetup.sif runs after dosnet.inf copies the local source to C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS. Txtsetup.sif will assume the source files reside in this folder.