Thread: Manager source code centralized or decentralized

Manager source code centralized or decentralized

Hi
    What are the parameters to take into account to use one rather than another. In what context is it better to take one over another.
    The tools I have sought to return are:
    Code:
    - Subversion
    - CVS
    - BitKeeper
    - Git
    - Mercurial
    - Bazaar
    If some of you use one of his tools, I would like to know the reasons which led him to use this technology (other than it was already like that when I arrived in my mailbox). The advantages and disadvantages of each.

Re: Manager source code centralized or decentralized

Hello
    I have used CVS (well, easy to make scripts to add new things not taken into account (binary images, etc ) Right now I use the following IBM Cleartool / ClearQuest. Not bad but expensive (very), and heavy. However it is flexible. But for a team properly organized, however I would advise CVS. The other once never used.

Hello
    I started with CVS that I found very handy and later I continued with SVN. I find it convenient to use (and as a administrator).
    I use SVN and still found this one perfect and fully integrated with Eclipse. No idea about the others you mentioned. I suggest you to go with SVN.

Hi
    I use SVN with TortoiseSVN software (windows).
    No significant problem except deleted file reconstruction using pure windows.
    Forced to make a dos2unix to find a good file on linux, but otherwise it fine to work on. As recommended in the above post even I suggest you to use SVN.

Hi
    I have used subversion for some time now, and by curiosity I looked at other types of version tools. And I fell on the management tools version decentralized. The main interest that made me interested in this. It can commit offline and resynchronize easily after all. I travel a lot and wait for a connection to the net as my various amendments limit my remarks a bit during my travels.

Hi
    I evaluated bazaar personally. One thing I found interesting was then being able to put your "server" anywhere. For example, I uploaded on my account free my project (a test project), and then! I could access them from anywhere. No need for specific server, you can access it via http, ftp, ssh, nfs mount, this may be a good choice.