Thread: Unable to open .jpg files in Windows 7 photo viewer

Unable to open .jpg files in Windows 7 photo viewer

I had been running Windows 7 as my operating system. I am not able to open all .jpg extension files in windows 7 photo viewer. Now the problem is that when I view pictures with the standard windows photo viewer, every time I open a picture from a folder, the pic opens up behind the folder I loaded it from annoying when I have to either go down to the task bar or aero flip to bring it to the front. Why i'm unable to open .jpg files in Windows 7 photo viewer? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Unable to open .jpg files in Windows 7 photo viewer

When I click on a photo file, windows photo viewer opens in the foreground just as one would expect on my system. Could it be a permission problem with your photo files? Can you move them around in explorer? If so, it's not permissions. I can't think of why it would be doing it the way you describe, but it is not normal.

Check if there is an update related to photo viewer or Win 7 OS. Also are you sure that those images are not corrupted? Don't feel bad because mine won't even open a .gif file it's as if that file type has not been coded into the viewer at all and there is no way to make it open them believe me I have tried everything.

If possible, could you please let me know where I can download the your multipage TIFF file? As I know, the performance of photo viewer can be related to picture size, memory usage and CacheSize of photo viewer. To troubleshoot this kind of issue.

Make sure that the icons are shortcuts of the pictures. Check that the file format of the pictures are still the same. It may be that the file are corrupted. Go to Start / Accessories / Control Panel and right click on Command Prompt and click on run as administrator. Type sfc /scannow (note the space is inmportant) and enter and let it run. It will scan and repair some of your system files. Hopefully it will complete with no errors (let us know if it completes with errors it can't resolve) Then try your programs and see if they now work.

If you have a different user account, login to that account and check if the affected photographs open up fine. Right click on the picture and select ‘open with’ and then click ‘Choose Program’. Choose another software which you want to use. If it does, then probably the other user account is corrupt. If you don’t have a new user account, you may create one for test purpose. If the program doesn’t show up in the window you can use the option ‘Browse’ then enable the option ‘Always use the selected program to open this kind of file’.