Thread: How can i Uninstall movie maker from Windows XP

How can i Uninstall movie maker from Windows XP

I am having an HP laptop with Windows XP installed on it, From the last few years , But now i would like to know how can i remove the windows movie maker from it , Since in these years i have not used the windows movie maker atleast once , why should we keep programs that in to our system if we are not using it?Does anyone know how to remove the Windows Movie Maker from Windows XP?

Re: How can i Uninstall movie maker from Windows XP

In windows XP the Windows Movie Maker is a system component and not a software. Hence you cannot remove or uninstall it even though you haven't used it for over years. It might be possible that the newer version of the windows Operating system have provided the uninstall option. Else you can visit the windows website and check there it's quite possible that you may find out some sort of solution over there.

The windows movie maker can be uninstalled from your system if you do the following steps

1. Download or install WinZip
    2. Drag the MovieMaker 2 installer EXE into WinZip.
    3. Drag the mm20.msi file out to File Explorer. Any
    directory will do.
    4. Right click the mm20.msi file. An "Uninstall" option
    will appear. Select it.
    5. Movie Maker 2 is uninstalled.

As mentioned above the windows movie maker is a component of the operating system and not a software. Which can be installed or uninstalled by the user of the system. If you remember the various control panel option inside the control panel there is an option below the add or remove programs icon and i.e. add or remove components. I think you can use that option to remove the windows movie maker.

Hi friends i have tried all the steps mentioned above but none of the steps seems to help me. There is no option in the add or remove components window to remove the windows movie maker. Also i could not understand the steps listed by chroma. Anyways, I would like to thank all the replier but i am still expecting some reply which might sort out my problem.

The windows movie maker is installed as part of XP, It cannot be seen either on the add or remove programs or the add or remove windows components. Since its an inbuilt program ll it's dll's are located in the program directory, not where they should be in system32 directory. That is the movie maker folder can be safely deleted from the Programs folder and delete the shortcuts from your menu without causing any damage. I hope that this might solve your issue.

Since the WMM is an inbuilt windows program. To remove such programs from the Operating System you need to delete the associated file from the system32 folder and also from the programs folder after that you have to delete the associated shortcut. Also, do not forget to delete some registry entry file. Doing this much of research and development for removing the windows movie maker its better to keep it aside as it is just consuming around 10 MB of memory.