Thread: Problems in using AUDACITY on Windows 7

Problems in using AUDACITY on Windows 7

Hi, I have recently upgraded my operating system form Windows XP to Windows 7. I was using AUDACITY to record songs on my desktop computer which was running Windows XP then, but after upgrading to Windows XP I am not able to use AUDACITY to record songs. Whenever the Record button is pressed, it gives an error in Input device settings. How do i solve this problem? Please help.

Re: Problems in using AUDACITY on Windows 7

Probably the software needs to be configured differently for windows 7. Check the settings of the software and see where the problem is. Search for the settings of the software for windows 7 form there support site. As the software is Open source software, you will be able to get the settings easily. Meanwhile you can try and install software's such as Gold wave for recording songs on to your computer.

I dont think Windows 7 supports the older versions of Audacity. Wait for the developers to release a new version of Audacity which will be compatible with the windows version you are using. Audacity is an open source program and hence the latest version will be available soon. There are many different software's which are available for recording and playing digital media on your computer. Music match Jukebox is one such software which has lots of features which are not available on Audacity.

Check the input device which you are using for recording songs on the computer. If its an AV cable then there are chances that the cable must have developed some fault and needs to replaced. The connectors of AV cable's tend to become lose and the connection is not proper. Therefore check if the connectors are properly fitted into the AV to phono Converter, and the if the phono converter is plugged in the correct auxiliary input jack on the computer.

If you are using Microphone as the input to record songs on the computer, then check if the Microphone is working properly or not. To check the microphone, Click on Start Menu--All programs-- Accessories-- Entertainment--Sound Recorder-- Now click on the record button and lightly tap on the mic. During tapping the mic, see if there any distortion observed on the graph. If the distortion is not observed then the mic could be faulty. To be sure open the Volume Control window and open the Advanced tab. Now remove the check mark against the MIC and AUX IN options and keep there levels at medium. If the mic is good, you will be able to record now.

Your Audio drivers might need an upgrade. Many of the applications wont work on the updated windows platform if the drivers of the system are not updated. Right click on My computer and Select Manage. Now go to device manager and select Audio and Video codecs. Now select the Audio codecs and Controller from the drop down list and right click on it. Now select Properties. You will see the update driver button. Click on it and windows will search for the updated drivers online and install it. After updating the drivers the windows reboot and hopefully your Record option in Audacity will work.