Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Manage fractions in access

Windows Software

Old 22-12-2009

Manage fractions in access

Hi
I have numeric types, sometimes users between fractions. Then I get an error type mismatch. Where do I change the type to handle fractions? Does any one knows how to do it, if yes then please do post back. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Linux-Us : 22-12-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 22-12-2009

Re: Manage fractions in access

Hi
In access there is no numeric type as such. When you describe your table looks at bottom left the general tab. Here you can choose which type you want digital. Here I auspiciously on suspicion that it is a Long Integer because it is the default type.
There are four numeric types in access:
Quote:
full (or short integer)
long integer
Real Simple
real double
Personally I tend to use more than long integers or real double that offer the greatest possible interval of values.
Old 22-12-2009

Hi
You can not type over 1 1 / 2 directly. Access does not handle this, and I do not know any system that manages it like that. Without programming you can write 1.5. When your user enters 1 1 / 2 he expects to see 1 1 / 2 or he can live with 1.5 (watch for 1 / 3 that will give 0.33). You can programmatically manage FACL things like 1 + (1 / 2) but again you must follow a special syntax. If you want to 1 1 / 2 it will have to build a shell syntax that is not necessarily simple.
Old 22-12-2009

Hi
Excel is easy to manage software for numeric types. Otherwise I think I'll store the string in action. It must have a simple way to convert the decimal fraction in access? If I come to knew one I will surely post back. Till then you try to find it, and if you find one then post back so that others can see and solve the problem.
Old 22-12-2009

Hello
Code:
Excel is easy to manage software for numeric types.
In Excel, a format is therefore a representation of numbers. So when you type 1 1 / 2, the cell actually contains 1.5.
Quote:
If you want to 1 1 / 2 it will have to build a shell syntax that is not necessarily simple.
Likewise if you decide to do
Quote:
Otherwise I think I'll store the string in action.
You'll have to reuse your values, recompose and reconstruct the numerical correspondence.
Old 22-12-2009

Hi
Thank you for the info about Excel, but I already knew that. If you have always a simple fraction of type 1 1 / 2 or 9 / 10 in the conversion in real is quite easy:
Code:
eval(replace(taChaine;" ";"+"))
To convert a fraction from real There are some algorithms that allow you to convert fractions reels but I do not know anymore. This is something that I saw there over 20 years and I've never used since. A Google search should help you find one. You will no doubt errors for things like 1 / 3. The reels in a computer are always approximations. If you do not do calculations with these values you can keep the course text.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,