Thread: Please suggest a good tool to copy files on Windows 98

Please suggest a good tool to copy files on Windows 98

I am running Windows 98 SE on my system and i find that Windows explorer is very slow and consumes a lot of resources when copying files. It frequently leads to my laptop overheating. I get a lot of errors sometimes when copying large files or folders with a lot of small files in it at once. This also leads to my system freezing sometimes. Guys please suggest a file copying utility for Windows 98. I need it to be light on resources, fast to launch, should have the facility to pause/resume. It should allow copying large files from or to the network drives in simultaneous sessions like a download manager.

Re: Please suggest a good tool to copy files on Windows 98

The possible reason for overheating could be the lack of cooling in your system and you can't completely blame it on the explorer taxing your system resources. Also you are running Windows 98 which is a very old operating system so try upgrading it to Windows 7 or a newer version of Windows. I am running Windows XP on my system without too many issues with windows explorer during the copy function. You can also give Teracopy a try if you want a software functioning like a download manager with pause/ resume facilities. It uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce file seeking time.

It seems you are running a very old system which probably is leading to the crashes and freezing. Upgrade your operating system to Windows XP or Windows 7 and also upgrade your hardware which also is old i assume considering the operating system you are using. You can use burstcopy as a tool to copy files on Windows 98. It will also resume/pause and ensure error free transfer of files. It also uses the dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek time and also it will reduce the time you waiting time for your file transfers.
    Last edited by chroma; 21-12-2009 at 07:11 PM.

I would suggest you to upgrade your hardware because this seems to be a case of outdated hardware and operating system. Why use Windows 98 when you can use faster operating systems such as Windows XP or Windows 7. You can use robocopy which is a command line files replication tool. It was introduced as a part of a Windows resource kit. It is used as a standard feature on Windows 7 and Windows vista so you can install one of those which will result in you having a more robust operating system with less crashes and freezing of your system, not to mention you will get your copy utility bundled along with it.

Well a good tool to copy files on Windows would be File Commander/2 which will allow you to move, delete, view your files in a convenient and customized way. It's has a front end display that will enable you to view the source and destination directory while copying. You can also operate it using the command line prompt. It has a text mode which gives you greater speed. It can only be used for a 32 bit operating system though which is a limitation. Teracopy is a good option too and one which i am still using on my other machine running Windows XP.

Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions. I was running Windows 98 on a virtual environment in which things are emulated and there is no real hardware. I used a couple of the programs you mentioned but i doubt if they actually led to increase in speed. I guess this issue is with me using Parallels and it should be fixed in their update. On my desktop i am running Windows 7 and robocopy seems to be running fine on it without any issues during copying huge files.