Thread: Yahoo send file option not working. How to fix this?

Yahoo send file option not working. How to fix this?

I have yahoo messenger version 9 on my Windows XP and it seems i can never send a file to someone i am chatting with. The messenger allows me to drag and drop or select a file to send but once i hit enter to send it, the transfer never begins. The bar showing the progress of the transfer just stays there empty. At first i thought my messenger had frozen. But i can talk/chat fine without any interruption, the transfer bar just remains there without the file being sent. This happens to anyone i try to send a file to. The size of the file doesn't matter, the file just wont be transferred even if it is as small as 1 kb like a simple text file. Also i would like to know how to stop the irritating messenger updates which keep popping up telling me to update to the latest version of yahoo messenger.
    Last edited by Garrick; 19-12-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Re: Yahoo send file option not working. How to fix this?

See if the Firewall is blocking a port which is used by yahoo. Maybe the port used to send data is being blocked leading to your problem. See if it is blocked on your system firewall or the router firewall. Is it possible your connection went down which is why you see the transfer as unsuccessful in certain cases when you try to send a file. Also make sure the Windows firewall is not blocking anything related to yahoo which makes this issue to come up in the first place.

Well you need to be using the same version of messenger as the receiver if you wish to send a file as far as i know. If you have a lower version and the person you are sending it to has a higher version, i think that also could lead to issues as far as i know. Update your messenger to the same version as the receiver and see if it works for you. Also check your system firewall or any firewall you have installed to see if it is blocking port number 80 and port number 21 which are generally used by yahoo messenger and ftp usually.

It seems your yahoo version is very old to what the latest release is. That i think is leading to this problem. Yahoo must be making it hard for older messengers to stay afloat with this to push their new messengers most probably. Update the messenger and see if it the send file option works for you. Also the to stop the automatic updated just disable it from your messenger so it won't update messenger as soon as you connect to it when the update is available.

Well this issue could be due to the older version you are using right now. The current messenger version is 10 which i guess is leading to your problem. You must be trying to send a file to someone who has a newer version of messenger to you or probably even older than yours. See if the firewall on your system is blocking any ports related to yahoo such as port number 80. I am sure yahoo must be using the port to send data by making a connection which is somehow blocked leading to you not be able to send a file to your friends. Also check whether your connection is proper when you try and send files, it is possible that your slow connection is taking a long time to send data and you are not patient enough to wait it out while the whole file is being sent.

Well try sending that file over a different messenger such as msn or skype and see if its the same case. If not then you probably need to update your messenger. Also delete the yupdater file from your messenger folder. This folder will be inside the yahoo folder which will be under the program files folder to stop the popup of updating your messenger. Mostly this issue should be resolved on updating your messenger or after unblocking the port your yahoo is using. If you are using a proxy connection on yahoo, that could also be leading to the problem since you are not making a regular connection. Hope this helps,good luck.