Thread: Firefox on xubuntu startup

Firefox on xubuntu startup

Hello.
    Here is my problem. I installed xubuntu on an old pc to my business. It seems to run fairly well. This PC (like all his other buddies) is intended to be placed in the workshops to the terminals. Users will therefore need an application that opens with firefox. For now, I managed to open firefox after booting xubuntu. But I'd like it to open from the start, without the system displays the office or around the GUI. Is it possible, if so, how? I took some courses in unix system, but I am not a regular. Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Firefox on xubuntu startup

Hi
    You can always try to add these two lines in / etc / rc.local
    Code:
    X-nolisten tcp: 0 &
    / usr / bin / firefox-new-window http://application - display: 0
    And disable the startup login prompts graphics such as kdm, gdm or other and then try it.
    Last edited by JonathanD; 19-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Hello
    Code:
    X-nolisten tcp: 0 &
    / usr / bin / firefox-new-window http://application - display: 0
    Thank you for your reply. Where in the file should I add those lines? And what is "to disable the startup logon prompts graphic". How do I do that? Does the display will still Firefox correct? Thank you.
    Last edited by Ameeryan; 19-12-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Hi
    Under xubuntu it seems to me the gdm package that gives you a graphical login prompt at startup. You can try this
    sudo apt-get remove gdm (possibly with the-s option is to simulate first see what it does)
    Regarding the lines that I've given you the places in the / etc / rc.local before the exit 0. Finally the few lines I gave you should start an X server with a single firefox window. No menus, no icons, no background image display, just an X server with a firefox window. And this firefox window will bare.
    Let me explain- This will not allow firefox window frame, the famous framework that allows you to move the window, close it by clicking the little cross or to minimize it.
    Does the display will still firefox mm correct?
    At first I would say yes but the best is to try.

Hi
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gdm (possibly with the-s option is to simulate first see what it does)
    I will try this tonight but I want to know first, I can then return to my environment office, typing startx in a terminal and try it. Thank you!

Hello
    Code:
    I will try this tonight but I want to know first, I can then return to my environment office, typing startx in a terminal and try it.
    You want to test it on an old PC or your PC to you? In any case if you want to test it on your pc to return to normal you comment the two lines I gave you and you reinstall gdm
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdm
    But I just thought of something important, with two lines of code that I just give you unfortunately you start an X server and firefox with root privileges Administrator which is recommended. So to avoid this here are the best lines of code
    Code:
    sudo-u normal X-nolisten tcp: 0 &
    sudo-u normal / usr / bin / firefox-new-window
    Last edited by JonathanD; 19-12-2009 at 01:59 PM.